Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams

A Chair for My Mother (1982)

by Vera B. Williams

3,7592092,061 (4.22)12

I enjoyed reading "A Chair for My Mother". It is about a little girl, her mother, and her grandmother. Mama, Grandma, and the little girl lose everything in a house fire. Throughout the story, her community and family come together to help them settle in their new place. They give them pots, pans, chairs, etc. However, Mama, Grandma, and the little girl work hard, but still don't have a comfortable chair to rest in when they get home. They begin to fill a big jar with coins. When the jar is full, they will go get a big, comfortable, velvet chair with roses on it. I like the story and I think it sends an important message about family and working together. You can accomplish more together than alone. This book would be good for all ages. ( )
  cjusti5 | Apr 17, 2019 |
I enjoyed the book “A Chair for my Mother” by Vera B Williams for a lot of reasons. First, this book is about a tragedy that turns into a joy. The book is in regards a home that was destroyed by a fire. The characters Rosa, her mother and grandmother save up to buy a really comfortable chair for them to enjoy. There is a message in here about the appreciation of little things and family. Although their house was burned down, there was still the bond that could not be impacted by the tragedy. The book was fun to read because it shows a side of empathy and reaction from the audience. I believe that empathy is an emotion that should be encouraged to feel at younger ages because there are situations where no, someone will not directly relate to their circumstance but it is important to feel empathetic towards the circumstance. It can have kids wonder what they would do in that given situation. Overall, I believe that this book does a great job of creating growth for children in a societal realm. ( )
  kisabe1 | Apr 15, 2019 |
I like this book because students can relate to it in all different aspects. For example, living in a home with no father figure, living with a grandparent, saving for something, experiencing a fire and the list goes on! However, the overall message from this book is to not give up. ( )
  Indiam16 | Mar 18, 2019 |
Rosa lives with her mother and grandmother. When they lose everything in a fire, the three of them work and save for a new chair...and in the process, discover they are not without support. ( )
  KaelynneGustafson | Mar 13, 2019 |
A Chair for My Mother is the story of a young girl, Rosa, who lives with her mother and grandmother. After losing everything in a fire, Rosa and her family have been saving up change to buy a comfortable chair for their new apartment. The change adds up slowly, but Rosa is looking forward to finally having a soft chair for her mother to rest in after her long shifts waitressing. At last, the jar is full and Rosa, her mother and her grandmother purchase the perfect chair that they can all enjoy.

A Chair for my Mother is a sweet story that provides important insight into how families overcome adversity, how neighbors help one another and what it means to save for something you really want. ( )
  adrouet | Mar 3, 2019 |
to the memory of my mother, Rebecca Poringer Baker
My mother works as a waitress in the Blue Tile Diner.

a book about giving

After a fire destroys their home and possessions, Rosa, her mother, and grandmother save and save until they can afford to buy one big, comfortable chair that all three of them can enjoy.After their home is destroyed by a fire, Rosa, her mother and grandmother save their coins to buy a really comfortable chair for all to enjoy. "A superbly conceived picture book expressing the joyful spirit of a loving family."--Horn Book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:43 -0400)

A child, her waitress mother, and her grandmother save dimes to buy a comfortable armchair after all their furniture is lost in a fire.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,475,378 books! | Top bar: Always visible