An Extraordinary Egg (2015)

by Leo Lionni

1,3214610,545 (3.89)None
Jessica the frog befriends the animal that hatches from an egg she brought home, thinking it is a chicken.

I really want to like these, but they just keep being preachy and talking-down and... ow. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
A frog named Jessica one day stumbles upon a very large stone that happens to be more than just a stone. This is my first book I've ever read by Leo Lionni and it turned out to be such a hilarious read. I pictured myself reading it to a classroom of students and I couldn't help imagine how fun of a read it would be for them. Aside from being a funny story, this picture book can lead to informative discussions about the wildlife mentioned in the story and much more. ( )
  D.Chokr | Feb 10, 2020 |
Jessica is one of three frogs living on Pebble Island. She is an explorer and appreciates things she finds around the island. She finds what they think is a chicken egg. When the egg hatches she becomes great friends with the baby alligator that comes out. They do everything together until the mother alligator reunites back with her baby. I love that Lionni uses a variety of animals in his stories. I enjoy the vocabulary he uses. He will include some advanced words in his stories. Which is great to increase children's vocabulary. "Isn't it extraordinary." "Marilyn saw a commotion in the water below them." ( )
  dbourgeois | Sep 22, 2019 |
My co-teacher's name is Jessica so this was a fun book to read with my students. They loved making connections between Mrs. Jessica and the main character Jessica in the book. One day, Jessica finds an egg, and the three frogs decide that it's a chicken egg. When an alligator hatches, they still believe its an alligator, even after meeting its mother. This reminds me that life is what you make of it and that everyone thinks differently based on their life experiences. ( )
  JasmineMcBride | Sep 4, 2019 |

Leo Lionniprimary authorall editionscalculated
DeRosa, Richsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Island, Donna ConeyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Menge, StephanieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Uribe, Veronicasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,771,303 books! | Top bar: Always visible