Tell Me A Story Mama by Angela Johnson

Tell Me A Story Mama (1989)

by Angela Johnson

Summary: This story is about a great bond between a mother and her daughter. He daughter loves story time before bed but not just any old story out of a book. She loves to hear stories about her mother when she was little and how she grew up. In this book the daughter is the one who really tells the story because she has heard them so many times. Even though she heard them so many times she loves to hear them over and over again.

Personal Reaction: This is a really great short story. Not only because it is short but having that special bond between you and your mother is the best bond to have ever. When I was younger I used to love to listen to the old stories of when I was young that my mom and dad would tell me. I can say the best stories I loved to listen to is when my dad and mom was growing up because he came from Detroit, Michigan which is a big city and my mom is from Frogville, Oklahoma which is a small, small country town that really no one ever hear of. So listening to the different cultures and how they were raised is like a big thing to me.

Classroom Extinctions: 1.) In the class I would ask the students to all write down were they are from.
2.) I would have them write down something that they remember always doing as a little kid or something they remember their parents always doing.
3.) I would let everyone interact on the different styles and parenting that everyone had went through when they were younger.
  MarkitaZ | Oct 8, 2015 |
Tell Me a Story, Mama is an adorable story where a little girl wants her mama to tell her a story but the little girl actually tells the story instead. She tells about her mama’s life and mama just agrees and adds a comment or two. The pictures show a loving family with good memories.

The pictures were sweet and I loved how the little girl actually told the story herself. The story ends with mama promising to “tell more stories tomorrow.” My little girl kissed the pictures.

I would use this book to talk about choices and how we treat people who are not nice to us. We could also talk about families and who lives in our houses? The grandmother lived with the little girl and her family and when her mother was younger, she and her sister had to live with an aunt for four months while the parents worked.
  kdelker | Mar 26, 2010 |
This book for young readers (grades 2-5) is about a child who asks her mom to tell her stories. The format of this story is question and answer based. The daughter asks questions about stories she has heard about before, and the mother retells these stories, adding another dimension to them. It discusses many deep issues such as death and moving away from a family member. The story line is captivating and will interest young readers because of the voice of the narrator, the little girl. The story highlights relationships with parents, something that children will be able to make many text to self connections. The illustrations are done in watercolor and pencil and are fairly simple. They tend to not add anything to the text but instead simply show what the text has said. Therefore, there is little synergy in the illustrations. For example, on the twelfth page the text says "Remember when you were little and you found that little ptppy with no tail by the side of the road?" and the illustration is of a little girl holding a puppy smiling. Many other illustrations follow a similar format. ( )
  umsoechildlit | Apr 23, 2009 |
A warm, touching story of a little girl connecting with her mother through the stories of her ancestors and extended family members which are passed down to her. Through the dialog between mother and daughter, feelings of love, belonging and affirmation are conveyed. ( )
  juanitaloo | Apr 2, 2008 |

A young girl and her mother remember together all the girl's favorite stories about her mother's childhood.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:37 -0400)

Angela Johnson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,861,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible