Imajica by Clive Barker

Imajica (1991)

by Clive Barker

Series: Imajica (omnibus)

A beautiful piece of work. A true treasure chest. Open it and get lost. ( )
  Hymlock | Apr 28, 2017 |
Riddle: Why is Halloween like Ray Bradbury's writings?
Answer: Because too many of Bradbury's stories in one day will make you just as sick as too much trick-or-treat candy.
..............
The thing about Bradbury is that he has one voice. He always writes in irrevent metaphors and staccato dreams and sensational sensuality. His characters aren't individuals - they're icons. All the wise ones speak in the narrator's voice, all the naive but receptive ones speak in short questions, all the hostile ones speak almost nothing.

And still I love his work.
----------------
But I don't love what he says about women. Although, I must admit, he usually doesn't say anything. Again with the roles. A woman is a beauty, who tempts a boy to grow up, or a man to fall in love w/ a simulacra. Or: (in 2257)a typical suburban housewife who lives as her ancestral mothers lived, in a house, raising her children..." "left behind on Earth" by the space*men*.

The theme of most of the stories in this book is of wishes. How much would you risk for a wish? If it were granted, would you then be glad?
-------------------
Interestingly, a few of these stories stick a tentative toe into the Queer world. Bradbury's not very, erm, enlightened... but neither is he a 'phobe.
.................
And done. And forgotten. The thing about these stories is that they're not sticking in my mind at all. The language overwhelms the ideas, and beyond that there is no plot or characterization. I could take a collection of Bradbury to my 'Desert Island' and I wouldn't need either the complete shakespeare *or* 'How to Build a Boat.' I'd feel like a lotus-eater, and just reread Bradbury's prose over and over again until I wasted away....

Rather than do that, I'll just pass this book on via bookcrossing.com." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Beautiful. Clive Barker's best. ( )
  apomonis | Jun 2, 2016 |
Lu il y a longtemps et bcp apprécié.
Inventif, complexe, passionnant; il m'a fait aimer C.Barker et lire plusieurs de ses livres.
Aborde la magie sous un angle nouveau.
A des accents féministes. ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 2, 2016 |
I wanted to like this more than I did - I remember enjoying Clive Barker previously and this book just didn't do the trick for me. I kept thinking to myself - get with on with it already!

The premise of the book is that there are five Dominions within the Imajica, with Earth being one of them. Earth has been separated from the other four (and no one seems to visit the first Dominion, where Hapexamendios, the god of all, has his city). Two hundred years ago a Maestro tried to reconcile the five Dominions but failed miserably, resulting in much death and destruction. A group called the Tabula Rasa was formed to clear all forms of magic from Earth to prevent this from happening again. As the two hundredth anniversary approaches, it's time for another attempt at the Reconciliation.

It was probably about 200 pages longer than it needed to be, and I found the ending anti-climactic. Still, I was interested and I wanted to know what was going to happen next. ( )
1 vote LisaMorr | Jan 27, 2016 |

Clive Barkerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reinert, KirkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was the pivotal teaching of Pluthero Quexos, the most celebrated dramatist of the Second Dominion, that in any fiction, no matter how ambitious its scope or profound its theme, there was only ever room for three players.

From master storyteller Clive Barker comes an epic tale of myth, magic, and forbidden passion—complete with new illustrations and a new Appendix.

Imajica is an epic beyond compare: vast in conception, obsessively detailed in execution, and apocalyptic in its resolution. At its heart lies the sensualist and master art forger, Gentle, whose life unravels when he encounters Judith Odell, whose power to influence the destinies of men is vaster than she knows, and Pie 'oh' pah, an alien assassin who comes from a hidden dimension.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:50 -0400)

At its heart lies the sensualist and master art forger, Gentle, whose life unravels when he encounters Judith Odell, whose power to influence the destinies of men is vaster than she knows, and Pie 'oh' pah, an alien assassin who comes from a hidden dimension. That dimension is one of five in the great system called Imajica. They are worlds that are utterly unlike our own, but are ruled, peopled, and haunted by species whose lives are intricately connected with ours. As Gentle, Judith, and Pie 'oh' pah travel the Imajica, they uncover a trail of crimes and intimate betrayals, leading them to a revelation so startling that it changes reality forever.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,218,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible