Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman

Fortunately, the Milk (2013)

by Neil Gaiman

English (132)  German (3)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (137)
We listened to this with the kids on a road trip this weekend, once in each direction. The narrator is a boy whose Dad goes out to buy milk at the corner store and after a long absence returns with an outlandish tale of where he'd been. His adventures include encounters with aliens in flying saucers, pirates, vampires, colorful ponies, and traveling as a companion to Professor Steg, a very wise stegosaurus. They travel through time, escape an erupting volcano, and never fail to hold on to the milk, all while on board a Floaty-Ball-Person-Carrier (a.k.a. a hot air balloon). It's all delightfully silly and a good follow-up to our previous favorite audio book for road trips, Gaiman's The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish, which very likely features the same family. ( )
1 vote Othemts | Aug 13, 2018 |
Likeable characters, silly fantasy, great choice for a read aloud. Excellent illustrations. ( )
  beebeereads | Jun 26, 2018 |
My son and I just loved this. It is very sweet with nothing scary or intense. Some big words might make it a difficult read for a young child on their own, but it's a great read-aloud book for younger kids. My 8yo found it hilarious; my youngest will appreciate the illustrations and low word count. ( )
  eslee | May 29, 2018 |
A sweet, clever, magical story delightfully narrated by the author. It's just under an hour long, and totally worth the time :) ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
I just listened to the audiobook version of this for the first time, which Neil Gaiman narrates, and it was AWESOME. He does excellent voices for all of the dinosaurs and aliens and vampires throughout the story. Anytime Neil Gaiman reads for one of his own audiobooks, I love it, but this one was particularly enjoyable.
  kerribrary | May 10, 2018 |

Gaiman, NeilAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Riddell, ChrisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Young, SkottieIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my late father, David, who would have told the tale with delight, and for my son, Michael, who would never have believed a word of it.

With love.

--N.G.
For my dad, who was a teller of stories and a maker of laughs. I miss you like crazy.

--S.Y.
There was only orange juice in the fridge.

"I bought the milk," said my father. "I walked out of the corner store, and heard a noise like this: thummthumm. I looked up and saw a huge silver disc hovering in the air above Marshall Road."

"Hullo," I said to myself. "That's not something you see every day. And then something odd happened."

Find out just how odd things get in this hilarious story of time travel and breakfast cereal, expertly told by Newbery Medaliost and bestselling author Neil Gaiman and illustrated by Skottie Young.

[from the jacket]

AR Level 4.3, 1 pt

While picking up milk for his children's cereal, a father is abducted by aliens and finds himself on a wild adventure through time and space.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,031,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible