The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher

The Aeronaut's Windlass

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Cinder Spires (1)

Good start to a new series. Will definitely follow it through to the end. ( )
  Eternal.Optimist | Aug 22, 2018 |
Substance and style are typical of the genre, and of Butcher's work. The world itself is different, interesting and well-drawn.
Full of heroes of many differing characters and personality.

The cats are too prominent for my taste but YMMV. ( )
  librisissimo | Jun 21, 2018 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Unfortunately, I finished reading it, and it is the start of a series, and when one finishes the first book in a new series a mere ten days after it is published it stands to reason one must then wait (however impatiently) for the next book. So I shall wait, and keep my eyes peeled for news of the next book in the series. ( )
  shadrachanki | Jun 8, 2018 |
Wow, I can tell I am going to like this series as much as I loved the Dresden Files ( )
  itschrisonline | Apr 28, 2018 |
This is a world I can't wait to visit again and again. When does the next book come out?

Excellent new book and series, of which I was fortunate enough to win an advanced copy through Goodreads. My first book win, and it couldn't have been better. So many complex and exciting characters that I just haven't seen anywhere else and can not wait to read more about. Grimm and Gwen, Benedict and Bridget, Folly and Ferus, Ransom and Ciriaco, Journeyman and Kettle, and last, but not least Rowl (my personal favorite), but Predator may be a very close second. There was so much adventure and world building in this one that I just couldn't wait to see what happened next, and cannot wait to find out more about the various inhabitants within (and without) the Spire.... including some very crafty characters, cunning cats, an old injury done to a just man, The Way, and so very much more.

On a personal note.... There were so many fabulous lines in here it was killing me not to add each to Goodreads as I came across it, but since mine is a 'First Read' and not the final edited version I restrained myself, but honestly it wasn't easy.

Also I should note that the time it took me to finish the book, was entirely a problem on my end and not the story's. There was a bit of a personal emergency on my end that led to delays in the amount of time I had to sit and devour this book. This review wasn't as timely as I would have liked it to be, and I couldn't pour through the book within days as was my wish, but when the spare moments came in the midst of very long days, it was just the adventure and glorious escape that I needed. A personal, heartfelt thank you to the author for creating yet another exceptional world that readers can lose themselves in whenever they need to. ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hacker, KarenPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morton, EuanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spencer, PriscillaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Telesca, LennyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Prima and Sirius, Silent Paws
"Gwendolyn Margaret Elizabeth Lanaster," said Mother in a firm, cross voice, "you will cease this nonsense at once."

"Since time immemorial, the Spires have sheltered humanity, towering for miles over the mist-shrouded surface of the world. Within their halls, aristocratic houses have ruled for generations, developing scientific marvels, fostering trade alliances, and building fleets of airships to keep the peace. Captain Grimm commands the merchant ship, Predator. Fiercely loyal to Spire Albion, he has taken their side in the cold war with Spire Aurora, disrupting the enemy's shipping lines by attacking their cargo vessels. But when the Predator is severely damaged in combat, leaving captain and crew grounded, Grimm is offered a proposition from the Spirearch of Albion--to join a team of agents on a vital mission in exchange for fully restoring Predator to its fighting glory. And even as Grimm undertakes this dangerous task, he will learn that the conflict between the Spires is merely a premonition of things to come. Humanity's ancient enemy, silent for more than ten thousand years, has begun to stir once more. And death will follow in its wake..."--Book jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,023,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible