Shadows of Self by Brandon Sanderson

Shadows of Self

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Mistborn (5), Mistborn Adventures (2), Cosmere (12)

English (33)  German (1)  All (34)
Not the strongest from the series... but good. ( )
  josh513 | Feb 3, 2018 |
It always feels so good to read about Wax and Wayne. I love them as characters, and I love being in the world of the Mistborn. Brandon Sanderson does such a good job of creating this world that feels like home, and that just consumes you. I love how he throws in little easter eggs from the previous trilogy and how things are connected in this new alloy era. This book took a turn I wasn't expecting, but it was really good. I kind of wished we got to get to know Steris better, but maybe we'll see some more development in later books. ( )
  jdifelice | Jan 20, 2018 |
Ah, Sanderson did it again, building political machinations on top of an already complex world. This reminded me that I REALLY need to do an original trilogy reread soon because there are many more references to characters from the old world, with a couple appearances by some...

The fact that Lessie was a kandra plant by Harmony is just a shattering twist. Not surprising, I suppose, since this is the realm of the gods, but man. Gonna take something significant to pull Wax out of this BSOD.

I also noticed a subtle mention to the next book, the Bands of Mourning... which might be some kind of Feruchemical band? Hm. ( )
  Daumari | Dec 30, 2017 |
I’m tired of murderers driving the plot. Not that I remember the plot two days after reading it, oh right a sort of rogue angel/shapechanger corpse eater. Lovely. ( )
  quondame | Dec 27, 2017 |
Five stars for being the saddest ending to anything i have ever read and actually making my chest cavity hurt thanks a lot sanderson ( )
  amaynard | Nov 2, 2017 |

McSweeney, BenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stewart, IsaacIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Moshe Feder

Who took a chance on me
Waxillium Ladrian, lawman for hire, swung off his horse and turned to face the saloon.

"The #1 New York Times bestselling author returns to the world of Mistborn with his first novel in the series since The Alloy of Law. With The Alloy of Law, Brandon Sanderson surprised readers with a New York Times bestselling spinoff of his Mistborn books, set after the action of the trilogy, in a period corresponding to late 19th-century America.The trilogy's heroes are now figures of myth and legend, even objects of religious veneration. They are succeeded by wonderful new characters, chief among them Waxillium Ladrian, known as Wax, hereditary Lord of House Ladrian but also, until recently, a lawman in the ungoverned frontier region known as the Roughs. There he worked with his eccentric but effective buddy, Wayne. They are "twinborn," meaning they are able to use both Allomantic and Feruchemical magic. Shadows of Self shows Mistborn's society evolving as technology and magic mix, the economy grows, democracy contends with corruption, and religion becomes a growing cultural force, with four faiths competing for converts. This bustling, optimistic, but still shaky society now faces its first instance of terrorism, crimes intended to stir up labor strife and religious conflict. Wax and Wayne, assisted by the lovely, brilliant Marasi, must unravel the conspiracy before civil strife stops Scadrial's progress in its tracks. Shadows of Self will give fans of The Alloy of Law everything they've been hoping for and, this being a Brandon Sanderson book, more, much more"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,763,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible