Necessary Lies by Diane Chamberlain

Necessary Lies (2013)

by Diane Chamberlain

Caring for her family on their mid-20th-century tobacco farm after the loss of her parents, 15-year-old Ivy connects with Grace County social worker Jane, who strains her personal and professional relationships with her advocacy of Ivy's family, whose dark secrets test Jane's resolve against racial tensions and state-mandated sterilizations.… (more)
    Unfit: A Novel by Lara Cleveland Torgesen (susiesharp)
    susiesharp: Kind of the other side of eugenics.

Good book. About the first 20% I was having some trouble keeping interested but then things started happening and I couldn't put it down! Loved it. ( )
  deb.d | Sep 30, 2019 |
This is a fast-paced book that kept me reading until I finished. It's set in 1960 with Jane, a social worker, starting her first job and her first marriage. Jane's focus is Ivy, a 15-year-old. Jane is expected to file papers to have Ivy sterilized. The Eugenics Program was a real program used to cut-down the number of people on welfare or for those with illness or low abilities by sterilizing sometimes without their knowledge. Jane struggles with how to do the right thing when almost everyone around her disagrees with her. The novel tells a compelling story, but I found it lacking beautiful language. The story was 5 stars, but the lack of imagery and vocabulary was 3 stars. However, it's a book I will readily recommend to others. ( )
  Beth.Clarke | Jun 28, 2019 |
Moving story of a social worker in NC and her involvement with the poor families who are her clients. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
Great book about the North Carolina Eugenics program - a program that allowed for forced sterilization in NC until the 1970s. It was an easy read that brings to light a disheartening topic. ( )
  loveleelisa | Jan 5, 2019 |
If you don't know anything about NC history, you'll probably be horrified to hear that they were still practicing eugenics and forced sterilization in the 1960's. As a former social work student who loves reading books that deal with social issues, I picked this book up and didn't stop reading until I was finished. I can't say I enjoyed it, but I definitely loved it. It made me think, and it made me cry. Wow. Highly recommend! ( )
  gentlespirit512 | Nov 27, 2018 |
For women and men who had no choice.

Diane Chamberlain is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,949,139 books! | Top bar: Always visible