Conversations with Capote

by Lawrence Grobel

Other authors: James A. Michener (Foreword)

Extraordinary conversations with the writer and celebrity who elevated talk to art and gossip to literature

Always fascinated by Capote - ever since I first saw him on the Dick Cavett Show telling that story about the dog jumping off of the balcony from several stories up. He's talking. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Pulled this one out of the TBR stack after watching Capote on DVD. I don't know why I'm fascinated by Capote. He could be such a mean, bitchy little gossip, but I can't help myself. I still think he was brilliant. This book has a great introduction written by James Michener where he thanks Capote for being so flamboyant and outrageous. He said people needed to be reminded that artists weren't like other people, and since most writers are, like Michener, plodding, boring people, Capote was sort of taking up their slack.

So, the conversations in this book were about growing up, being famous, writing both In Cold Blood and Answered Prayers, celebrities, other writers, homosexuality, and drug/alcohol abuse. Interesting stuff, even if there are a few rather sharp barbs interspersed throughout.

I'll probably read Gerald Clarke's biography of Capote soon. ( )
  jennyo | Apr 23, 2006 |

Lawrence Grobelprimary authorall editionscalculated
Michener, James A.Forewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,267,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible