The Mission Song by John le Carré

The Mission Song (2006)

by John le Carré

After being abandoned by both his Irish father and Congolese mother, Bruno Salvador's life is guided by a British Intelligence officer. He becomes an interpreter and stumbles upon a nasty plot and ends up courting danger from London to Congo to an island off Denmark.
    A Most Wanted Man by John le Carré (John_Vaughan)
    The Heart of the Matter by Graham Greene (John_Vaughan)
    John_Vaughan: The two books reflect the supposedly 'catholic' viewpoint so often attributed to Greene. The Mission Song is from a catholic African's view.

English (31)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (39)
Very poor audio version, abandoned.

I have a policy of reviewing every book I read, so I'm catching up on a few that never got reviewed because I never finished reading them. The Mission Song falls into that category.
I treasure my books on audio CD as I can listen to them easily in the car, so it is with great regret that I abandon an audiobook. This one however, was a truly awful narration. A dreary monologue that just couldn't hold my attention.
I'd never read a Le Carre novel before but The Mission Song seems to be one of his less favoured books. So this, along with the poor narration convinced me that life was just too short, and this was going to be one of my rare abandoned audio books. I'm not sure I even completed the first CD. ( )
  DubaiReader | Feb 7, 2017 |
This was one of those books where all along I am marveling at how good a writer the author is while not loving the story.

Classic le Carre` with the very strong main character... a lot of subtlety during the negotiation scenes... lots of digressions and backstory and character speeches... I love le Carre`, but I just liked this one. Plus I don't think I could have liked the character of Hannah much less. Kind of a pain in the *ss, in fact.

As far as the audio-book went, I started off the first disc thinking I would not like the narrator David Oyelowo, but he ended up doing a nice job... definitely got stronger as the story went on... nice job with different voices and some excellent accents, especially as there were many different ones... his voice for Hannah's friend Grace was great, sounded like another human being. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jan 27, 2016 |
An interesting idea but the plot didn't really come together in this story of a multilingual interpreter who attempts to foil a coup in the Congo backed by some shady British politicians. There's a love story on the side, a wife who is a high flying journalist - not at all clear why this relationship was in the story, and a twist at the end. oK beach read. ( )
  sianpr | Jun 26, 2015 |
First start 7 Jan 12
Second start 14 Feb 12
Final restart 13 Apr 12

It took me three restarts to get this going, which should have been my first bad sign. It wasn't bad but just hard to follow and I never warmed up to the narrator, Salvo, who seemed liked a person playing the part. All his arch phrases and manners but he never really coallesed into the person I suspect he was trying to be at the end. I could see all the bad choices he was making but I still couldn't figure out what finally did hapen. It just got very convoluted and nothing really made sense to me. It's been a while since I really found I was dissapointed in a LeCarre but the one I read after that was fantastic so perhaps it is just something that happens every now and then.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
Colonial politics continue on the African continent, complete with mercenaries doing the bidding of the ruling class. ( )
  patriciamoss | May 28, 2013 |
“The Mission Song” illuminates with animated personifications a portion of the globe’s daily misery that tends to be, in American news, at least, murky and abstract.

John le Carréprimary authorall editionscalculated
Oyelowo, DavidReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'The conquest of the earth, which mostly means the taking it away from those who have a different complexion or slightly flatter noses than ourselves, is not a pretty thing when you look into it too much.' - Marlow.
Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness
My name is Bruno Salvador.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,923,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible