Cat Sense: How the New Feline Science Can…

Cat Sense: How the New Feline Science Can Make You a Better Friend to Your… (2013)

by John Bradshaw

4071941,875 (3.47)11
"A must-read for any cat lover, Cat Sense is a revolutionary new account from one of the leading scientific experts on these little-understood animals. As he did in his acclaimed, best-selling Dog Sense, Bradshaw combines the most up-to-date research with fascinating case studies to paint an unprecedentedly detailed portrait of the domestic cat"--"Cats have been popular household pets for thousands of years, and their numbers only continue to rise. Today there are three cats for every dog on the planet, and yet cats remain more mysterious, even to their most adoring owners. Unlike dogs, cats evolved as solitary hunters, and, while many have learned to live alongside humans and even feel affection for us, they still don't quite "get us" the way dogs do, and perhaps they never will. But cats have rich emotional lives that we need to respect and understand if they are to thrive in our company. In Cat Sense, renowned anthrozoologist John Bradshaw takes us further into the mind of the domestic cat than ever before, using cutting-edge scientific research to dispel the myths and explain the true nature of our feline friends. Tracing the cat's evolution from lone predator to domesticated companion, Bradshaw shows that although cats and humans have been living together for at least eight thousand years, cats remain independent, predatory, and wary of contact with their own kind, qualities that often clash with our modern lifestyles. Cats still have three out of four paws firmly planted in the wild, and within only a few generations can easily revert back to the independent way of life that was the exclusive preserve of their predecessors some 10,000 years ago. Cats are astonishingly flexible, and given the right environment they can adapt to a life of domesticity with their owners-but to continue do so, they will increasingly need our help. If we're to live in harmony with our cats, Bradshaw explains, we first need to understand their inherited quirks: understanding their body language, keeping their environments - however small - sufficiently interesting, and becoming more proactive in managing both their natural hunting instincts and their relationships with other cats. A must-read for any cat lover, Cat Sense offers humane, penetrating insights about the domestic cat that challenge our most basic assumptions and promise to dramatically improve our pets' lives - and ours"--… (more)

English (18)  French (1)  All languages (19)
Wonderful book that gave me the up-to-date information I needed for understanding my new cat. The author gave me an insight into the cat's wild nature that caused me to love him even more. ( )
  dkohler52 | Apr 24, 2019 |
Great book. I am an unashamed cat lover, but after reading this it was clear I didn't actually know much about cats, their biology, ancestry or the reasons for their behaviour. Probably the most startling revelation for me is that cats are not yet fully domesticated. Although they have been hanging around with humans for millenia, until very recently they were simply tolerated because they kept pests down. The idea of cats as cute pets kept solely for company is not more than a couple of centuries old. Hence cats are struggling to reconcile their wild instincts with our demands on them as companions. I liked how the author worked in the science with his own experiences with cats, particularly Splodge, a large bad-tempered neutered tom, who appears a number of times in the book demonstrating some point or other. For myself I remembered back to cats in my family up to 30 years ago and suddenly mysterious behaviours made sense. I think the most diparaging thing I read was the advice that Bengal cats,a cross between domestic and wild leopard cats that I absolutely adore, just do not make good pets. Disappointing but good to know. I loved this book, I learned so much and it was entertaining too. Recommended for all cat-lovers and even cat-haters as well. ( )
1 vote drmaf | Oct 15, 2018 |
Cat Sense: How the New Feline Science Can Make You Better Friends to Your Pet by John Bradshaw
307 pages

★★★

I can’t tell you the day I woke up and became a “cat person” (I honestly see myself as an all animal person but others seem to disagree). I grew up with dogs (to this day I count one of my best friends as my now deceased Akita) and no cats. It wasn’t until my husband (then boyfriend) and I ventured into a humane society in 2007 that I became a first-time cat owner. But along that time, my cats have given me great comfort and love in some of the toughest years. I have spent years without dogs now since I live in a constricted apartment but my cats have turned into my everything. Does that make me a cat person? Perhaps. I would be little offended if you thought so. So I’ve been delving quite strongly into books related to cats recently. This one, Cat Sense, is from a more scientific view – their history, genetics, breeding, training, hunting, etc – seen in both domestic and feral cats and their wild ancestors.

Little surprised me in this book but then again you’re looking at a girl who spent many years working with animals (cats and dogs) in many different environments and maybe that’s why the book became somewhat boring to me at times. I think that it did contain a lot of good information but it I felt at times it became repetitive. The author is British and some of the issues he touches on is not quite as large of a problem here in the United States…as far as I know (I didn’t do a huge amount of research either way). Since it takes a much more scientific view of our feline friend, I doubt this book is going to appeal to everyone but it does have some great tips and facts that I believe all cat owners should be aware of. It is also a good book if you truly know little about the cat world. And if you’re not all that much into cats, you’re in luck, as the author has another book cleverly named...Dog Sense.
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
Give it 3 1/2 due to a fair amount of redundancy. Interesting background on feline history and biology but no great revelations. One takeaway was on the issue of spaying all our nice, friendly domesticated cats--then one is left with a population of feral and/or anti-social (to humans) cats. Hadn't thought about that. ( )
  crosbyp | Nov 14, 2015 |
Biedt nuttige inzichten, maar is nogal wetenschappelijk geschreven. Met veel aandacht voor oorsprong van de kat en theorieën over "de ideale kat voor de toekomst". Het is vooral duidelijk dat er nog wel wat meer onderzoek gedaan moet worden, want dit zijn wel erg veel slagen om de arm. ( )
  Maaike15274 | Oct 19, 2015 |
Dogs look up to us: cats look down on us.
- Winston Churchill

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction.
- Mark Twain
To Splodge (1988-2004) - A Real Cat
What is a cat?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,404,197 books! | Top bar: Always visible