The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

by Holly Black

When seventeen-year-old Tana wakes up following a party in the aftermath of a violent vampire attack, she travels to Coldtown, a quarantined Massachusetts city full of vampires, with her ex-boyfriend and a mysterious vampire boy in tow.

I like the character development in this book and I also enjoyed the fact that there weren't too many characters to keep up with.

The gradual progression of the relationships formed between characters is an aspect of the book that I really enjoyed. In addition, the flashbacks were appropriately placed and aided as a segway between "scenes" of the main story line.

Overall, this book is receiving a 4 star rating because the first few chapters went a little slow for me. Other than that, this is a really good book and I recommend this to anyone that enjoys reading about vampires.

I look forward to reading another book by this author. ( )
  Jaleesa_RBTBC | Dec 2, 2022 |
Holly Black just doesn't disappoint. She wrote fairy stories, and never forgot to make them as scary as all the traditional tales. She wrote stories about Psychic powers and kept the dark troubled edge that mind powers inherently imply. Now she writes a vampire story as true to the cold and terrifying as true can be. All of her characters in all of these books are people with agonizing choices and stubborn, self-knowing hearts. She makes us love them, and we follow them down all the dark and twisty roads. Well done, Holly Black, well done. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
Did the world really need another vampire book? I think not. The premise is kind of interesting and I liked the main character Tana but it didn't really break any new ground for me. ( )
  Dairyqueen84 | Mar 15, 2022 |
While I enjoyed the new twist on the vampire lore (vampires not living in secrecy) I found this story a little disappointing. Maybe because it was recommended by someone I trust, but I expected it to be better than it was. It took me forever to even finish it because I got bored with it. ( )
  KimZoot | Jan 2, 2022 |
Trigger Warning: Drugs, gore, blood, violence, mild language, death.

4.5 So when I first picked up The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, I was not expecting to like it. I was not expecting vampires. Some of the author blurbs were making me think: "Eh, if they liked it I won't." I never expected to love a book about vampires. Frankly I went into this book with little and low expectations, and was blindsided.

The last Holly Black book I read, [b:Valiant|266607|Valiant (Modern Faerie Tales #2)|Holly Black|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1332713354s/266607.jpg|588218], did not impress me. I was worried that this one would not either. But this did (duh). The characters were great, the plot was awesome, Coldtown is the coolest, creepiest, weirdest, ect setting that I have read about in a while, maybe even forever. It had so many layers to it. Not only that, but how it and vampires were precised by people on either side of it was so different. It made me think about the internet and news today, how everything is sensationalized and warped into something different than it actually is. To people on the outside, Coldtown was like a glamorous, 24/7 party with a chance to earn immortality, but in reality, it was dirty, dank, and unfriendly.

The characters seemed plausible. One of the most annoying things I read in books that take place in our world is how dumb or implausible their actions and reactions are. It bugs me beyond belief and can completely ruin a story for me. Tana's actions did not. It made sense with her history and background, and her actions were felt natural, not odd or staged for the plot. And they moved the plot forwards. Another pet peeve is when everything but the main character moves the plot forwards. Now one thing Tana's sister Pearl did sorta bugged me when she sent the text to Tana saying "have fun fun fun fun [...]" (not sure how many funs there are). It made me roll my eyes and think "Who does that?" along with a bunch of other things, though I guess it can be credited to her age and the perception of Coldtown as I said above.

These aren't the only thing Holly Black did right in Coldtown. She made me like a vampire novel. Usually, vampire novels are either trying to scare me (I'm to visual for books to scare me, it has to be a film) or are deathly romantic. This was neither. It had the right element of creepiness and logical romance (seriously, no one writes logical romances these days). Plus, the romance stayed as a side plot. It didn't take over halfway through the story. It let the plot be the plot.

And finally, Black's writing was great. It wasn't outstanding, but it was rich and exciting. Here word choice was brilliant. Each character had their own voice and I loved the little blog excepts. They were in the right places at the right times, as were the flashbacks. They were relevant; they were what readers want and need to see from the story.

In all this was just a great book. Not the best thing ever, but something I will remember and recommend for a very long time! ( )
  afrozenbookparadise | Apr 22, 2021 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionscalculated
Illingworth, SashaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O., MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nothing can happen more beautiful than death.
--Walt Whitman
For Steve Berman, who inspired the story that inspired this novel
Tana woke lying in a bathtub.
This is the novel by Holly Black, not the short story it is based on.

Tana lives in a world where walled cities called Coldtowns exist. In them, quarantined monsters and humans mingle in a decadently bloody mix of predator and prey. The only problem is, once you pass through Coldtown's gates, you can never leave.

One morning, after a perfectly ordinary party, Tana wakes up surrounded by corpses. The only other survivors of this massacre are her exasperatingly endearing ex-boyfriend, infected and on the edge, and a mysterious boy burdened with a terrible secret. Shaken and determined, Tana enters a race against the clock to save the three of them the only way she knows how: by going straight to the wicked, opulent heart of Coldtown itself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,473,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible