Greywalker by Kat Richardson

Greywalker

by Kat Richardson

Probably the most meh book I've read this year. It's also why it took me forever to finish. ( )
  rabidgummibear | Nov 28, 2018 |
You can read my review of the book here: http://www.thegenretraveler.com/horror/travel-reads-greywalker/ ( )
  CarmaSpence | Jul 26, 2018 |
The concept and premise of this book are both of interest to me, and overall I enjoyed the story. But it definitely feels like a "set up the series" novel, which led to a few pacing issues, and there were times when word choices threw me out of the story. ( )
  shadrachanki | Jun 8, 2018 |
Greywalker is a solid introductory novel into the world of Harper Blaine. I read it in one day and enjoyed it.

In this world, there's the "grey," an area between this world and the next, where ghosts, vampires, and other assorted creatures exist. I thought Ms. Richardson did a nice job building the world, as the reader learns about it as Harper does. Harper is an intriguing heroine and finally one that has some sense. She's tough, but not so much that she does stupid things. For instance, while she carries and gun and will use it, she calls the cops when she sees her office being burgled, instead of confronting the burglars. I found that smart, especially for a P.I., and a refreshing change of pace from the typical run-right-into-trouble-head-on-without-thinking urban fantasy main character. I also liked that she had a ferret. I haven't read many books where the heroine has a pet ferret. It was kind of a refreshing change.

As for the other characters, it's about 50-50. I thought some of them were nicely developed, but some of them were very one dimensional. Also, a couple things felt forced, such as Will leaving Seattle. It felt like, "even though we've set you & Harper up, you really don't fit into the next book, so we need to get rid of you." Also, the ending felt a bit anti-climatic after such a big build up. But, there's still mystery surrounding Harper and her new status as a Greywalker. Not all the story lines finished, so there's still a good amount to discover in the next book in the series. I'm particularly interested in learning more about Quinton. Overall, a good start for a debut novel ( )
  wanderinglynn | Mar 22, 2018 |
This is the first book in a series, and while it's obvious at the end that it is starting a series, it is not annoying about that fact. In other words, while the door is left wide open for sequels, there is no stupid cliffhanger leaving the reader dangling.

I did enjoy the premise for this book. Essentially, the main character is legally dead for a couple of minutes, and when she's resuscitated she is able to access the ghost world -- otherwise known as the Grey. (Hence the title.) It's a little annoying that she spends a lot of the book denying that the Grey has any impact on her, when she's so obviously (to the reader) being affected by it, but it is also completely believable that she would want to ignore anything which reminds her of the fact that she died, even just for a brief moment. I plan on eventually continuing with the series: if she's still rejecting the Grey to the same extent in book two, then I may reevaluate my opinion of how much this colors my enjoyment of the series. (AKA: in book one, it's okay. In book two, a lot less okay.)

The characters in the novel were fun. I liked the main character, and the bulk of the supporting cast. I especially like the guy she gets to help her with her alarm system, and while he's "just a friend" in book one, I kinda suspect he may turn into a love interest in later books. I like the witch and the scholar couple that she gets Grey lessons from, too. (Sorry for the lack of names... I'm feeling too lazy to look up spellings.)

I do have high hopes for this series. It seems like a true urban fantasy series, and I hope that it doesn't go the way of some other urban fantasies that turned into paranormal romance love-fests (Anita Blake, I'm looking at you). I do enjoy paranormal romances, don't get me wrong. But I miss the good urban fantasy books that have all of the paranormal without the tons of sex. Maybe this will fill that void? Here's hoping. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Jan 26, 2018 |
For Ellen Williams
I'd been surprised when the guy belted me.

Seattle P.I. Harper Blaine is viciously attacked and murdered - but after exactly two minutes, somehow she returns to life. Now she's seeing strange things all around her - dark visions from the shadow world - and living a normal life may no longer be possible no matter how hard she tries.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 045146107X, Paperback)

When Harper comes to in the hospital, she begins to feel a bit ...strange. She sees things that can only be described as weird-shapes emerging from a foggy grey mist, snarling teeth, creatures roaring.

But Harper's not crazy. Her "death" has made her a Greywalker-able to move between our world and the mysterious, cross-over zone where things that go bump in the night exist. And her new gift (or curse) is about to drag her into that world of vampires and ghosts, magic and witches, necromancers and sinister artifacts. Whether she likes it or not.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:50 -0400)

Following a savage, near-fatal attack, private detective Harper Blaine discovers that she has become a Greywalker, and now has the ability to move between the ordinary world and a mysterious, cross-over zone populated by monsters.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,432,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible