Summer Term at St. Clare's by Enid Blyton

Summer Term at St. Clare's (1943)

by Enid Blyton

A classic children's story from the world's best-loved children's author, Enid Blyton. School life has never been so splendid.  'I hate sneaks Worse than Anything. If you dare tell tales again, I'll make you Very SORRY.' New girl Carlotta has a secret past! What will happen when sneaky Prudence tells the rest of the class? Watch out! There's trouble at St Clare's! … (more)

Better kindlelization than the other St. Clare's, but still. Pretty poor. What a shame!

The story is a typical Blyton. ( )
  kaulsu | Jul 13, 2014 |
I read school stories because, as a rule, the authors encourage girls to strive for themselves and be very active in different things (school clubs, sports, etc). The problem with this book, which wasn't so prevalent in the first one, is that the plot doesn't revolve around a mystery, or who's going to a win a competition, or whether a pupil's piece is good enough for the school's journal. Each chapter has a new prank played on one of the teachers and there's a lot of bullying going on - in one scene, one of the girls almost drowns and at first she's teased solely because she's a good student. I really abbhor this kind of attitude and it seems Enid Blyton encouraged it, often having one of the teachers comment on a good student that she 'should laugh more'. To each their own, Enid, to each their own. Some students like studying and the sort of pranks your characters play don't appeal to everyone. Also, my primary reason for adoring boarding school stories in particular is that a lot can happen outside of class - sadly, nothing much happens here until the end, which is a real shame as I think girls living together is an ideal way for friendships to blossom in unusual circumstances. I missed the description of tuck boxes and food in this too, there weren't that many. This was a frustrating book but I loved the setting too much to give it less than three stars. ( )
  RubyScarlett | Nov 11, 2013 |
'Four weeks' holiday!' said Pat O'Sullivan, as she sat up in bed the first morning of the Easter holidays.

Pat and Isabel O'Sulivan twins are about to start their last term in first form at St Clares, their school and are dissapointed when they have to miss the first week of school. But when they get back to school they soon settle down and the summer term brings all sorts of excitement. Don't-care Bobby enthrals the whole class with her pranksand unrully behaviour but the other new girls aren't so popular. 'Goody-goody' Prudence is a snob and a sneak and Carlotta is certianly hiding something...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,143,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible