Murder at Monticello (1994)

by Rita Mae Brown, Sneaky Pie Brown (Author)

Other authors: Wendy Wray

Series: Mrs. Murphy Mysteries (3)

Mrs. Murphy digs into Virginia history--and gets her paws on a killer. The most popular citizen of Virginia has been dead for nearly 170 years. That hasn't stopped the good people of tiny Crozet, Virginia, from taking pride in every aspect of Thomas Jefferson's life. But when an archaeological dig of the slave quarters at Jefferson's home, Monticello, uncovers a shocking secret, emotions in Crozet run high--dangerously high. The stunning discovery at Monticello hints at hidden passions and age-old scandals. As postmistress Mary Minor "Harry" Haristeen and some of Crozet's Very Best People try to learn the identity of a centuries-old skeleton--and the reason behind the murder--Harry's tiger cat, Mrs. Murphy, and her canine and feline friends attempt to sniff out a modern-day killer. Mrs. Murphy and corgi Tee Tucker will stick their paws into the darker mysteries of human nature to solve murders old and new--before curiosity can kill the cat--and Harry Haristeen.… (more)

English (8)  Dutch (1)  All languages (9)
hb
  5083mitzi | Jan 1, 2022 |
This is the third book in this series. The pets in the series understand the humans and provide commentary amongst themselves, though the humans are unable to understand the pets. In this one, a skeleton is found, dating back to 1803, and it appears that the person was hit with something on the back of the head and murdered, so the townspeople are digging through history to see if they can figure out what happened. Part-way through the book, one of the current-day characters is also murdered.

I’m surprised I came up with a coherent summary, but I think it’s fairly accurate. That being said, I just wasn’t interested in what was happening in the book; when I lose interest, I skim and miss much of the goings-on. I assume both murders were cleared up at the end, but I couldn’t say for sure. The animals are somewhat cute/amusing, but even then, not always. I will not be continuing the series. ( )
  LibraryCin | Dec 11, 2021 |
  Karen74Leigh | Sep 4, 2019 |
I love reading books that have me resorting to google for further historical information and details. ( )
  Karen74Leigh | Sep 4, 2019 |
Written to mark the 250th birthday of Thomas Jefferson, and published three years before the DNA test which overturned long-held assumptions, this reads like a time capsule. Lots of hero-worshipping a Founding Father, lots of potted history cribbed from biased sources, little energy spent on the mystery. Some characters are introduced only to be dropped from sight a few pages later. Very rushed towards the end, where she gets the names of her characters and the names of Jefferson's daughters mixed up. For completists. ( )
  MissWatson | Aug 8, 2017 |

Rita Mae Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brown, Sneaky PieAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Wray, Wendysecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Für Gordon Reistrup, weil er uns zum Lachen bringt.
Laughing, Mary Minor Haristeen studied the nickel in her upturned palm.
a.k.a. Old Sins

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,936,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible