Landline: A Novel by Rainbow Rowell

Landline: A Novel

by Rainbow Rowell

Georgie has a big decision to make before Christmas--work on her dream TV script for a one-time pitch, or go with her husband, Neal, and their daughters to Omaha. Georgie decides to work on the TV script and stay in LA, much to Neal's dismay. Neal is so furious he won't even pick up his phone to talk to her. Georgie soon discovers a landline phone in her old bedroom that lets her talk to Neal before they were married. She finds herself in the same situation they were in before they got married: apart and wondering if love is enough for a marriage. Like all of her other books, Rowell's writing is easy to follow, intriguing, and the characters are delightful and relatable. Recommended for fans of Rowell and romance readers.

Taylor W. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
Absolutely positively undeniably wonderful. Practically fell in love with this book from page one. ( )
  fatmashahin | Sep 23, 2017 |
Overall, more unique, quirky goodness can be found in Rainbow Rowell's newest work. Having also read Fangirl this year, I'm really getting a sense of Rowell's style. I like and can identify with her nerdy, somewhat nonconventional main female characters.

At first, Landline reads like a slice-of-life of a marriage with young children that is on the rocks. There's a real sense of struggle and sadness in the story. Of wanting to do what's right for family but also wanting to advance career goals. Later, magic phone calls add an element of fantasy. For me, the magic calls were really downplayed. I assumed the story would center on the awesomeness of this power, but I really have to stress that the focus of this story is maintaining and strengthening marriage. I was expecting a little more of a romantic comedy, so I also have to stress that the story is fairly serious. It has funny moments, but also has lots of stress and family disfunction.

Most of all, I enjoyed the sweet holiday ending. It was classic Christmas movie worthy. ( )
  vonze | Sep 19, 2017 |
Thank goodness for this book! It pulled me out of a very sad book rut! I was going through a lot of 3 and 4 stars and even some DNFs before I finally got to this fantastic 5 star. Landlines had everything I was looking for without even really knowing what I was looking for. I totally fell in love with Georgie's and Neal's story.

So we have Georgie, a very busy TV writer. She's been working on one particular "dream show" with her best friend Seth since they were in college (so ten-ish years), when they finally get someone who may be interested in picking it up. This all happens just a few days before Christmas and Seth convinces Georgie to work over the holiday instead of going to Omaha with her husband, Neal, and their two girls, Alice and Noomi. This comes up after years of many night home late, etc. It's pretty clear from the start that there are a few troubles in this marriage.

Throughout the week that Neal is gone, Georigie ends up staying in her old childhood home with her mother, younger sister, and step-father. That is one quirky bunch! In her old bedroom is a yellow, rotary, landline phone that somehow lets present-day Georgie communicate with college Neal. Georgie just thinks she's going insane.

My favorite element of the book where the flashbacks to college. I really enjoyed watching Georgie and Neal fall in love and learning about how they came to be. Everything about "early" them was so sweet and made the whole story become such a heartwarming read. All of the characters were awesome and made me love them in their own ways. Georgie's mom, Seth, Heather (the sister), and even the two girls. It's awesome when the supporting characters in a love story are just as great as the couple. The humor was also spot on and actually works very nicely with the drama.

There's really nothing I didn't enjoy, hence the perfect rating. I mean, honestly, I had a few questions leftover at the end, but that's okay, I will just make-up my own answers to them. For a while now I've been wanting to read a love-story and a novel that would stick with me and I finally found it. ( )
  kelleylizak | Aug 29, 2017 |
My second book by Rainbow Rowell, and I loved it just as much.

What would you do if you got a second chance to make things right? Georgie and Neal have a tenured marriage. Tense, with typical troubles, Georgie makes the decision to stay home for Christmas to work. Neal, understandably, gets mad and takes the girls to Omaha as planned. Georgie finds a way to communicate with Neal, but it's Neal from 15 years ago. This helps her to reevaluate her life, her marriage, and the choices she made in the past.

I was prepared to hate both Georgie and Neal from the beginning. Georgie suffered from a lack of confidence, and Neal struck me as a bully. However, as the story unfolded I began to understand their relationship, and it was really sweet. And messy. And complicated, just like real life. It made me appreciate my marriage and reminded me how fortunate I am.

It's not what I expected, but it was still really good. Just read it. Rainbow Rowell hasn't disappointed me yet. ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
What really makes a book of the summer is when we surprise ourselves. It’s not just about being fascinated by a book. It’s about being fascinated by the fact that we’re fascinated.

The odds:4-1
Landline
Rainbow Rowell
Pros: Keen psychological insight, irrepressible humor and a supernatural twist: a woman can call her husband in the past.
Cons: Relative lack of violence, perverse sex.

This book is for Kali.
(Everything that matters is.)
Georgie pulled into the driveway, swerving to miss a bike.

"In New York Times bestselling author Rainbow Rowell's Landline, Georgie McCool knows her marriage is in trouble. That it's been in trouble for a long time. She still loves her husband, Neal, and Neal still loves her, deeply -- but that almost seems besides the point now.Maybe that was always besides the point.Two days before they're supposed to visit Neal's family in Omaha for Christmas, Georgie tells Neal that she can't go. She's a TV writer, and something's come up on her show; she has to stay in Los Angeles. She knows that Neal will be upset with her -- Neal is always a little upset with Georgie -- but she doesn't expect to him to pack up the kids and go home without her.When her husband and the kids leave for the airport, Georgie wonders if she's finally done it. If she's ruined everything.That night, Georgie discovers a way to communicate with Neal in the past. It's not time travel, not exactly, but she feels like she's been given an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts.Is that what she's supposed to do?Or would Georgie and Neal be better off if their marriage never happened?"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,652,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible