Asterix the Gladiator by René Goscinny

Asterix the Gladiator (1964)

by René Goscinny, Albert Uderzo (Illustrator)

Series: Astérix (4), Asterix (4)

1,206810,347 (4.04)11
When Cacofonix the bard is taken to Rome as a present for Julius Caesar, Asterix and Obelix set out to rescue him, sailing with master salesman Ekonomikrisis, the Phoenician merchant. How do our Gaulish friends come to end up training as gladiators? The next Games in the Circus Maximus are not quite what Caesar and the Roman public expect...… (more)

English (5)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (8)
Asterix and Obelix travel to Rome to rescue Caliphonix the Bard. It's a very simple plot without too much at stake. Asterix is basically super human and he is never in any real danger. It seems he could just take on the whole Roman Empire if he wanted to. There are some character design choices for dark skinned slaves in this volume that could be interpreted as racist. This was probably not high on the French illustrator's priority list in the mid 60's. ( )
  BenjaminHahn | Jan 26, 2015 |
As a kid I would read and reread the Asterix (and Tintin) comics over and over again. My primary school library (and local council library) had quite a collection of both, and at least with regards to Asterix, between them had pretty much all of them (with Tintin I had to go and persuade my parents to purchase the ones that were not available, so with the exception of the first two, I had read all of the Tintin comics, and the Asterix comics that had been released at the time).
However, after a very long hiatus, I borrowed a collection of Asterix comics from my friend and reread them and found them amusing. That was about fifteen years ago. Now, being a 'young' adult and working fulltime (as well as having access to the internet which means that I can get copies of the albums at least half of what I would be paying at a bookstore in Adelaide) I have now managed to collect and read all of the Tintin comics and I am slowly obtaining the Asterix comics as well (for some reason I seem to have moved away from borrowing books from the library, I guess because if I purchase them, not only can I then give them to by Dad, but I can take my time reading them).
I must admit that this one had me in stitches. This is number four in the series but we are seeing the development of the characters and the albums continuing. We saw that with the Tintin comics as well with Herge continuing to develop the characters and their friends as more and more albums were produced, and it is good to read them in order to see this development. In this album see Obelix begin his little game of counting the number of Romans he beats up by collecting their helmets. After every fight Obelix walks away with a pile of helmets in his hands, and of course in the final combat in the arena, we see a huge pile of helmets stacked in the corner. Also in this one we meet the pirates, who end up being another one of those groups that Obelix loves beating up.
Ceaser's birthday is coming up and the prefect of Gaul decides that he was to get Ceaser a special present, namely one of the indominable Gauls for the arena, so they decide to capture the weakest link, Cacofonix the Bard. Despite the fact that absolutely nobody likes his singing (probably because he has absolutely no musical talent whatsoever) he is still a Gaul and still a member of the village, so Asterix and Obelix go on a quest to Rome to rescue him. Along the way they meet up with the arena boss, who also happens to be the main villain of the peace.
There are some really amusing anecdotes in this album, particularly where Obelix looks for somebody to take care of his menhir delivery business while he is away (and I am still puzzled as to why the village actually needs all those menhirs), and then you see Obelix passing it on to Geriatrix, the village old person (elder would be an inappropriate word as Vitalstatistix is actually the leader of the village, Geriatrix is just an old guy with a very young wife) who looks at him oddly and says 'I don't think this is the right job for me'.
What is also amusing (but as I said this one had me on the floor in stitches) is how they just seem to wonder through Rome with impunity. If there is one thing that does not bother Asterix and Obelix and that is Roman legions, and in fact Romans. It is interesting how they painted Rome in the book because while historical accuracy is limited to an extent (Ceaser, in reality, was fighting a civil war when he returned from Gaul and then he was assassinated, so I suspect that the entire period of the Asterix comics is actually set over a period of only a few years). Oh, and the Latin that they throw around is actually heaps amusing, particularly when the entire Circus Maximus (the Collesseum hadn't been built at this stage, so kudos to the authors for at least being somewhat accurate here) is applauding Ceaser with the exception of Marcus Brutus, who sits behind Ceaser with a sour look on his face, and Ceaser then turns around to him and says 'et tu brutae'. ( )
1 vote David.Alfred.Sarkies | Mar 15, 2014 |
Five out of ten. CBR format. The romans capture the Gauls village bard, Cacofonix, and plan to use him in the Circus. Only by becoming gladiators can Asterix and Obelix rescue him. ( )
  theboylatham | Jan 25, 2010 |
The Asterix comics with Julius Caesar are usually among my favorites so this was a joy to find. And finally we have a story centered around the world's most misunderstood musical genius (in his own perspective) Caconophix. I love how the translators use modern songs with "Gaulish" lyrics. Classic! ( )
  guamo | Jul 21, 2007 |
A little more interesting story than usual, in which the village's bard is kidnaped by the Romans. The boys take off to rescue him, and somehow end up as gladiators in the Roman Circus. ( )
  burnit99 | Jan 21, 2007 |

Hockridge, DerekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, AlunTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
RubricastellanusTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, BernardGwaith llythrennusecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Welsh Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Y flwyddyn yw 50 cyn Crist. Mae Gâl i gyd yn nwylo'r Rhufeiniaid ... I gyd? Nage! Erys o hyd un pentref Galiaid anorchfygol sy'n llwyddo i ddal eu tir yn erbyn yr imperialwyr. Ac nid yw bywyd yn hawdd i'r llengfilwyr Rhufeinig sy'n gorfod gwarchod gwersylloedd milwrol Bagiatrum, Ariola, Cloclarum a Bolatenae ...
[Dim]
Mae cynnwrf mawr yng ngwersyll Rhufeinig Bagiatrum, gan fod Platedo Gracchus, llywodraethwr Gâl, yn ymweld â'r canwriaid Gaius Gallarbedlototophus.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,795,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible