HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Locomotive (2013)

by Brian Floca

It is the summer of 1869, and trains, crews, and families are traveling together, riding America's brand new transcontinental railroad. The pages come alive with the details of the trip and the sounds, speed, and strength of the mighty locomotives; the work that keeps them moving; and the thrill of travel from plains to mountain to ocean. Come hear the hiss of the steam, feel the heat of the engine, watch the landscape race by. Come ride the rails, come cross the young country!… (more)

A very good story detailing the events of the first completed cross country railroad. It has images and tells a very detailed description of what the advancement looked and meant to the people at the time. The only issue is while the book has some pictures, it is a lot of information for the students to take in and they may get bored before finishing. ( )
  MorganBelt | Nov 21, 2022 |
I enjoyed the way the language and word choice matched the photos so well; however, with so much text on the page I found that it could be a challenge for younger readers. ( )
  jkohlmeyer1816 | Nov 12, 2022 |
The transcontinental railroad has just been built allowing crews and families to travel across the country. This book builds on the detail of the locomotive from how it sounds to its speed and strength. This train traveled from the West Coast to the East Coast of America. Although there is great artwork and use of word choice, this book is quite lengthy in that children might lose interest. ( )
  BKmiec | Nov 8, 2021 |
This story seems to be a good representative of what we expect the railroad to have been like before the invention of affordable cars. The story would be a great start to a unit on how the Western United States was colonized, and about the people that built the rail road for all that to happen. There is so much symbolism attached to train and American, and because of that every citizen should have some introduction to it and this book would be a great place to start. ( )
  Brett904 | Nov 5, 2021 |
In the summer of 1869, passengers travel on the first transcontinental railway to the West coast. The rich details in this informational book depict numerous aspects of the early history of travel by train. Caldecott Medal Winner, 2014. Map of Transcontinental Railroad, Note on the Locomotive, Steam Power Technical Diagram, Sources.
  NCSS | Jul 23, 2021 |
I purchased this book from BarnesandNoble.com

If you haven't checked out this year's Caldecott Award Winner, then you absolutely must! Along with my newfound appreciation for Children's Literature, I decided to purchase this book as a deal I had through my B&N membership. I had so much fun reading it and enjoying the illustrations, whilst being introduced to the writings and artwork of Brian Floca. You will not be disappointed!

Locomotive journeys through a family's travelings from Omaha, Nebraska to Sacramento, California in 1869 as a result of Abraham Lincoln's involvement in the Pacific Railway Act. This act connects the east to the west by railroad, and the project was completed 5 years ahead of schedule. Through the reading and illustrations, Floca transports us across the US and provides the reader a learning experience along the way. There's just enough history and detailed illustration for older children to observe, while younger children can chug along with the rhythm of free-verse and onomatopoeia.

Floca also provides a curriculum guide to use Locomotive as a tool for educational purposes. He shows how to develop a sense of integration between text and illustration to build knowledge for students and children. Resources can be found in the sleeves and inside covers to establish foundational learning and maximize comprehension. Floca has taken the time and effort to provide readers and educators multiple options for retention.

Honestly, I am very impressed with Brian Floca's ability to balance text and illustration. Most authors I come across who attempt to wear both hats of "Illustrator" and "Wordsmith" tend to lack in one of the areas. Not in this case. Not only does Floca succeed in accomplishing both, rightfully being accompanied by the Caldecott Award, but he also goes above and beyond to ensure that it is a true learning experience complete with vehemently researched facts. He purposefully changes font, size, and color to keep the reader interested and retain a mental image of the information.

In my opinion, Floca's artwork is beautiful. Just an interesting little tidbit, it took him 4 years to produce Locomotive. Although, in his own opinion, watercolor isn't his forte nor his first choice, he's produced amazing work worthy of reward.

For Avi
Here is a road made for crossing the country, a new road of rails made for people to ride.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,752,279 books! | Top bar: Always visible