The Bronze Horseman (2000)

by Paullina Simons, Paullina Simons

Series: The Bronze Horseman (1)

"Leningrad 1941: the white nights of summer illuminate a city of fallen grandeur whose beautiful palaces and stately avenues speak of a different age, when Leningrad was known as St Petersburg. Two sisters, Tatiana and Dasha, share the same bed, living in one room with their brother and parents. It is a hard, impoverished life, yet the Metanovs know many who are not as fortunate as they. The family routine is shattered on 22 June 1941 when Hitler invades Russia. For the Metanovs, for Leningrad and for Tatiana, life will never be the same again. On the fateful day, Tatiana meets a brash young officer named Alexander. Tatiana and her family suffer as Hitler's army advances on Leningrad, and the Russian winter closes in. With bombs falling and the city under siege, Tatiana and Alexander are drawn to each other in an impossible love. It is a love that could tear Tatiana's family apart, a love that carries a secret that could mean death for anyone who hears it. Confronted on the one hand by Hitler's unstoppable war machine, and on the other by a Soviet system determined to crush the human spirit, Tatiana and Alexander are pitted against the very tide of history, at a turning point in the century that made the modern world. Mesmerizing from the very first page to the final, breathtaking end, The Bronze Horseman brings alive the story of two indomitable, heroic spirits and their great love that triumphs over the devastation of a country at war." - Taken from author's website.… (more)
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.

English (96)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (98)
3.5 stars

Lots of angst and drama and the characters got to me a bit but the author really knows how to write and wove a beautiful background to a heartbreaking time. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
I loved this book, right up there with Gone With the Wind and Thorn Birds. Classic, epic, love story. ( )
  SharleneMartinMoore | Apr 24, 2021 |
This was a weekend binge read for me and I couldn't wait to get through the last chapter. I am really surprised by this novel's high average rating on GR. Half of the book is mostly dialogue between a soldier named Alexander and a seventeen year old named Tatiana, including seemingly every gratuitous thought that comes into the girl's head.

The one saving grace of this book was the inclusion of some significant historical details about the invasion of Russia by Germany during WWII. The author did insert some of the horrific realities many people faced into the story to give it credibility. Otherwise this is basically a really, really long drawn out love story with too many inconsistencies that could have benefited by some major editing. Perhaps readers who love romance novels might be drawn to this story and the main characters but unfortunately, I wasn't. This book has been on my tbr shelf for years and I am just glad to finally cross it off my reading list. ( )
  This-n-That | Feb 22, 2021 |
I've been reading this book late into the night, completely enraptured by the love story of Tatiana and Alexander, and gripped by the vivid, dark story of war torn Russia in the 1940's. Ms. Simons grabbed me with her descriptive narration of Russia, the disintegration of humanity in the midst of war, hunger, sickness. She frustrates me with the endless back and forth between Tashia and Shura, but you can't help but root for their love and happiness.

What do I do next? Get the next book. ( )
  Cookie1975 | Feb 17, 2021 |
80 hours of listening!! James Langton reads the audiobook - he does a great job though the voice for Tatiana becomes annoying at times. The novel's ethical positions are perplexing and frustrating. A remarkable novel, a romantic tour de force amid historic horrors. I'm exactly halfway through, to the escape from Leningrad, so my comments are for the first half. ( )
  Okies | Oct 22, 2020 |

Paullina Simonsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Simons, Paullinamain authorall editionsconfirmed
Burton, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Langton, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

"Hence in a season of calm weather though inland far we be, Our souls have sight of that immortal sea which brought hither, Can in a moment travel thither, And see the Children sport upon the shore, And hear the mighty waters rolling evermore." William Wordsworth
"Light came through the window, trickling morning all over the room."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,669,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible