Outlander (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (1)

19,663908153 (4.2)2 / 1169
Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.
    Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne Du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    The Song of Albion Collection: The Paradise War, The Silver Hand, and The Endless Knot by Stephen Lawhead (charlie68)
    charlie68: A story about a trip farther into Britain's past.
    The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley (jennyj271)
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    Mary Queen of Scotland & The Isles: A Novel by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    Ross Poldark by Winston Graham (Anonymous user)
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    A Wee Guide to the Jacobites by Charles Sinclair (MissBrangwen)

English (889)  German (6)  Dutch (6)  French (5)  Italian (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Tagalog (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (914)
I made a mistake when I first started this series: I was browsing the New Releases section at the bookstore and saw Drums of Autumn sitting on the shelf. I decided to get it because it was a really thick book and looked interesting, something I could lose myself in while I sat in one waiting room after another when my mom was going through her various treatments to fix a broken jaw. It wasn't until I was about 10% or so into that book that I realized it was part of a series and looked again at the front pages to see what order in the series it was. It was fourth. Since I had no idea when I'd get back to the bookstore (ah, the days before Amazon and kindles - well, this would've been Amazon's infancy, but still before I had an Amazon account), I decided to just finish the book and if I liked it, I'd go back and read the previous three. Well, I liked it. It was ridiculous. It was silly. It was over-the-top romance and shenanigans. It had some dark themes because of the time period, but the characters were engaging and complex. It was just what I needed to get my mind off my own troubles.

So I went back and got the first three books as soon as I could and read them. Now, this was back when I was just out of high school, so I was about 17/18 when I first read these. (Wow, has it really been that long? No wonder I feel so old.) I was a more forgiving reader back then, more willing to overlook things that today would annoy me now. Like meandering storylines that don't really go anywhere even if they fill in the corners of who these characters are. Honestly, I'd probably be a bit bored if I were picking these up for the first time today, but nostalgia helps. A lot. (And as some may know, I haven't read the latest book yet and have put any interest in this series on hold until the author actually finishes it. I'm not convinced at this point that she can. I've also gotten sick of the number of times she uses rape in her books. I've reached my saturation point on that count.)

I didn't like Jamie overly much back then and thought him a heathen and a brute for obvious reasons (the man does kill a lot of people). I thought Claire was a bit touched in the head to be so taken with him, and certainly for forgiving him as easily as she did after That Scene. He mellows out a lot over the series and as he gets older, and it was probably knowing from reading the books out of order that he does indeed keep his vow to never punish Claire again that helped make That Scene not so bad for me. I understand the controversy over it. I think Claire should've made Jamie grovel a hell of a lot more (like she does in the show, and it's one of the changes that I really liked and appreciated about the Starz adaptation). I totally understand why that would be a deal breaker for a lot of people. However - I was spanked when I was a kid; I was never beaten. There's a difference and this book acknowledges that in many hundreds of examples and instances even before That Scene happens. Plus, violent times and all that. Does that make it okay? Perhaps not for some. Does that mean I can live with it? Yep. (I do take issue with the first sex scene that follows this though, and again, I'm very grateful that Starz made the changes they did there, as they gave the power back to Claire. I'll just pretend that's the way it actually happened.)

Davina Porter is amazing, which I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone who has listened to these audiobooks. She's got a great range of voices for all the characters, her accents (to my non-native ear) sound authentic and spot on, and she gives such a performance here that it brings the book and the characters to life. Her vocal range is right in the middle, so she can do both the male and female voices without straining herself or the listener's ear. For thirty hours, she narrates this book to perfection, and if they have awards for audiobook narrators, she should get them all. ( )
  Linda_Bookworm | May 6, 2021 |
I'm a third of the way in and have no interest in what happens to these characters. It's reading like a romance novel and I just don't care for those. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
This was ok. I'm slightly embarrassed that I read it. ( )
  Abiquail | Apr 24, 2021 |
Just couldn't get into it, so I put it down.
  jlweiss | Apr 23, 2021 |
from the moment I began reading this book until I finished it I was drawn into a magical world. I immediately became invested in all the characters. they became friends of mine in a distant time. thankfully I came upon this series when 4 books were already written. Ms. gabaldon takes a few years between books before they are published. her books are all lengthy (no fluff or padding here. the length Is justified) and she has to research each h book. I became unreachable for about a week as I read each book. I have happily re-read this series more than once, and eagerly await the release of the next title. I strongly recommend reading this series if you live stories of Scotland, time travel, romance and adventure. these books are not just one genre. Ms. gabaldon expertly wraps this series in many types of genres. many male friends have been just as excited about this series. ( )
  txbritgal | Apr 6, 2021 |
I absolutely loved this book. It was filled with action, adventure, and romance. I flew through the book and can't wait to read the rest of the series.
added by alaphi | editalaphi (Apr 3, 2016)

Een jonge, Engelse vrouw loopt kort na de Tweede Wereldoorlog tijdens een wandeling in de Schotse Hooglanden door een gespleten monoliet die deel uitmaakt van een magische cirkel. Hierdoor komt ze terecht in het turbulente Schotland van 1743 en trouwt om aan een wisse dood te ontsnappen een vogelvrij verklaarde Sejot. Beiden worden opgejaagd door een sadistische kapitein van de Engelse dragonders, maar kunnen na tal van avonturen en in het besef dat de loop van de geschiedenis veranderd kan worden, een nieuw bestaan opbouwen. Een fascinerende historische roman, waarin de auteur liefde, seks, romantiek, spanning en avontuur tot een boeiend geheel heeft samengevoegd. Goede tekening van de historische achtergrond. Een meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion

Kuby, GabrieleÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Regös, FerencCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Traveling in time
Clare falls in love with Jamie
Must choose if she stays
(BekiLynn)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Diana Gabaldon's book Outlander was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Diana Gabaldon's book Outlander was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,742,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible