Ross Poldark by Winston Graham

Ross Poldark (1945)

by Winston Graham

9445313,307 (4.05)1 / 217

Re-read 2018. The sign of a gifted author - that you get swept along with the characters without becoming aware of the actual writing.

Interesting, complex characters and a romantic atmospheric historical backdrop. ( )
  LARA335 | Sep 8, 2018 |
4.5 rounded up.

I couldn’t resist this book...it has a picture of Aidan Turner on its cover. Seriously, I have loved watching the Poldark series on PBS and I find the book it is based on to be just as interesting and fulfilling. I will be reading the entire book series, although at what pace I am not sure.

Book 1 deals with Ross Poldark, who comes home to England (Cornwall, no less) from the American Revolution to find that his father has died, his land is in complete disrepair, and his love is about to marry his cousin, Francis. Ross appears to have picked up some ideas about freedom and equality while across the Atlantic and he finds himself outside the normal bounds of his class in his thinking. We are set up for a tale of class struggle and moral choices in the heart and hands of a very independent and atypical man.

The characters are developed beautifully, there is enough of romance and intrigue to keep you guessing and the writing is well-paced, even though you can sense this is going to be a long story. I am in for the full ride and expect it to be delightful.
2 vote phantomswife | Jul 6, 2018 |
This was a bit of a slower sort of book but, if interested in the area of Cornwall, England and the time of the Revolutionary War, this book provides all the atmosphere a reader could want. The story follows Ross Poldark, a soldier for the British, as he returns home to find his fiance engaged to his brother (everyone had thought Ross was dead). This results in many complications throughout the rest of the story. Ross ultimately picks up a poor girl named Demelza who is a bit rough around the edges, and things develop from there. Overall, a really lovely story with strong time and place captured well. ( )
1 vote justagirlwithabook | Jun 2, 2018 |
I wanted to read this book before I saw the PBS series and I am so glad I did. The best thing about the story was the characters. They are very relate-able. Even though the setting in over 200 years ago, the struggles are not so different from today.

The imagery was very well done and the plot moved along nicely. Anyone who like historical fiction will love this one. ( )
1 vote purpledog | May 14, 2018 |
Last year my local PBS ran the BBC Poldark adaptation from the 70s & they showed a title card for the new adaptation that has just begun to air in the US through Masterpiece, and though I'd never heard of it, I found out that this was all a big deal and so were the books, back in the day. There's serious fandom devoted to television adaptation and book. I thought it looked interesting and I'm always up for a good period drama so I watched and quickly realized that I was going to need to read the books. Now that I've read the first, I'm fairly sure that I'm going to need to go on through with the rest of the series.

Ross returns home to Cornwall and literally has just about the worst homecoming a person can have upon returning from a war scarred and lame (I don't recall him being lame in the television adaptations but then again, Ross is the sort of character that I think it would go unnoticed anyway). His father is dead & he's left nothing but debts, the family home, Nampara is in such a state that to say it's dilapidated would be a kindness and his fiancee, Elizabeth is now engaged to his cousin, Francis and their nuptials are imminent. That he didn't board ship and head off into the horizon or pitch himself down an mine and have done with it all speaks to the man. I will grant that Ross does a good bit of being wounded given the situation with Elizabeth and who could blame him but he also rolls up his sleeves and gets to setting right the things he can control in his life and that was utterly charming.

No major spoilers but I will say that I liked the mining business portion of the story and especially the Warleggans, who are just determined to own, consume and conquer. I'm pulling for Ross but like that he has formidable obstacles and the odds are not in his favor. There's a fair bit of class warfare going on as well and that was interesting theme as well. As for other characters, Demelza is quite endearing (he family is a catastrophe) and even with the age difference, I can see how she & Ross will work longterm. Verity is so very good that I just want good things for her and feel badly for her as she's either ignored, taken for granted or ordered & expected from by just about everyone but Ross. He treats Verity like an individual with a mind and feelings of her own. Their relationship is one of my favorites and I truly think she's more Ross's little sister than Francis's. Francis and Elizabeth seem like a good match as they care about the same things and I'm looking forward to Ross realizing that too. Jud & Prudie are a complete wreck but I admire Ross's ability to tolerate and care for them in spite of their flaws. I like to think that's what his father would have wished.

All in all this was an enjoyable read and is peopled with colorful characters. The sense of place and time is well rendered and I found this very readable. I'd recommend it to fans of historical fiction and I will be continuing with the series. I've already bought Demelza. ( )
1 vote anissaannalise | Feb 28, 2018 |
Joshua Poldark died in March 1783.
aka The Renegade

Tired from a grim war in America, Ross Poldark returns to his land and his family. But the joyful homecoming he has anticipated turns sour, for his father is dead, his estate is derelict and the girl he loves is engaged to his cousin.

But his sympathy for the destitute miners and farmers of the district leads him to rescue a half-starved urchin girl from a fairground brawl and take her home - an act which alters the whole course of his life . . .

paperback, vg+

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:31 -0400)

Tired from a war in America, Ross Poldark returns to his land and his family. But the joyful homecoming he has anticipated turns sour, for his father is dead. But his sympathy for the destitute farmers of the district leads him to rescue an urchin girl and take her home -- an act which alters the whole course of his life.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,977,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible