Waverley (1814)

by Sir Walter Scott

Series: Waverley Novels, publication (1814), Waverley Novels (1745)

Set during the Jacobite rising in Scotland in 1745, this novel springs from Scott's childhood recollections and his desire to preserve in writing the features of life in the Highlands and Lowlands of Scotland. Waverley was first published anonymously in 1814 and was Scott's first novel.
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: By contrast, a modern romance set at the same time and place.

English (25)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (27)
Here's what I wrote after reading in 1986: "Tale of a young Englishman involved in the 1745 Revolution of "The Pretender", Prince Charles Edward (Stuart). Excellent insights into Scottish ways and traditions of the time. Most memorable characters: Fergus Mac-Ivor, chieftan of a Highland clan." Interesting, today I have no memory of reading. ( )
  MGADMJK | Dec 29, 2021 |
Fiction
  hpryor | Aug 8, 2021 |
This is my first Scott, and while I did not particularly care for the book/writing, I did like the story. I think my reading was somewhat enhanced by knowing the history of the Jacobite Rebellion and the Battle of Culloden. Had I not known something about the Highlanders and their rebellion(s), I would have been lost. I was not a fan of the romance part of the novel, it seemed obligatory or contrived. I started to read the introduction, but after 9 pages of self-absorbed drivel, I skipped it. 484 pages, just barely 3 stars. 3 stars for me is your average read--can be mediocre or enjoyable, this was not necessarily enjoyable and yet not mediocre. ( )
  Tess_W | Jul 10, 2021 |
Hrdinou románu je mladý Angličan, přicházející do Skotska jako důstojník britské armády, který kolísá mezi věrností k hannoverské dynastii a romantickým obdivem pro skotské Stuartovce. Děj zachycuje významnou událost skotských dějin, jakobitské povstání roku 1745. ( )
  hvezdap4 | Sep 8, 2019 |
Sir Walter Scott's first novel, although published anonymously - none of his novels were acknowledged until late in his life.
Tells the story of an Englishman who comes to Scotland with an English regiment but ends up fighting on the side of the Jacobites against the crown. As a novel, it is most interesting for the background of the Scots and highlanders of the time. The edition I read had extensive introductions and prefaces which helped putting the book and its contents into context. ( )
  mbmackay | Jul 19, 2018 |

Rivas, José PabloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
‘—And must I ravel out
My weaved-up follies?’
Richard II, Act IV
‘Under which King, Bezonian? speak, or die!’
Henry IV,  Part II.

[this epigraph is found at the beginning of the 2nd volume in the 2 volume edition of Waverley.]
THESE VOLUMES
BY
AN UNKNOWN ADMIRER
OF
HIS GENIUS.
The title of this work has not been chosen without the grave and solid deliberation which matters of importance demand from the prudent.
This is the complete novel Waverley (in one or more volumes) which is the first novel written in the series of novels by Walter Scott which came to be known overall as the Waverley novels.  Many volumes of the Waverley novels include descriptions such as Waverley Novels Volume I: this is referring to the position of one of Scott's novels in that publication of the Waverley novels, not to any splitting of Waverley, the novel, into two or more volumes.

If your copy is actually Volume I of a two or three volume edition of the novel Waverley, it should be separated from this page.  If your copy is actually a complete edition of Waverley, the novel, it should be included in this page, regardless of how many volumes make up this single novel.

Legacy Library: Sir Walter Scott

Sir Walter Scott has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Sir Walter Scott's legacy profile.

See Sir Walter Scott's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140430717, 014043660X

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,717,179 books! | Top bar: Always visible