Heartless by Marissa Meyer

Heartless

by Marissa Meyer

Yikes! ( )
  wrightja2000 | Sep 6, 2018 |
I read this novel with trepidation: we all know how the Queen of Hearts turns out! But Marissa Meyer is one of my favs, so I gave it a go. Seeing how sweet Lady Catherine's evolution into the Queen of Hearts is portrayed by Meyer in this backstory was heart-breaking, but worth it. I enjoyed how other Wonderland characters (Hatter, Cheshire Cat, The Caterpillar, The Mock Turtle, The Jabberwocky, etc.) are woven into the story.
  deslivres5 | Aug 17, 2018 |
I will say this, the words used to describe things were beautifully done. I personally found this to be extremely hard to get into and in fact had to switch from a book to audiobook just to keep myself reading. I would say about 1/3 of the way in I started to enjoy it and about 2/3 of the way in the book felt extremely rushed and I found myself wishing that the first chunk had been shorter and the last bit had been longer and more detailed.
As for the characters, I really didn’t like Catherine, I found her to be childish and I just could not empathize with her. She kept saying “I don’t want this” but went along with everything anyways but the story left it open like she had a choice. I wouldn’t say that this makes it a bad book because I do agree that we don’t need to like a character to have a good book but I felt like she had no growth.

I did like Jest and actually wished the story had been from his perspective and that we’d seen more of him and Raven, or even gotten more with Hatter. I won’t go into details just in case this hasn’t been read yet but the ending twist with Hatter really bothered me. I felt like it was a last-minute attempt to add something that people keep asking for. I think if that was going to be attempted it needed to be added in earlier in the story to build on.

Personally, I give this a 3/5. I do feel like the story itself was carried through but I found it lacking. ( )
  Kylana | Aug 13, 2018 |
I really liked this book and I liked all the references to the Alice in Wonderland books. It was really fun. I kept wondering the whole story how this seemingly good person ended up as the queen of Hearts. It was an interesting ride.

What I didn't like was that the book felt a little too long or the pace too slow or something. It was hard to get into for me. I also didn't care much for Catherine. I felt like she was all over the place. One second she'd say or do one thing and then the next it would be the complete opposite. I thought she was very wishy-washy until the end when she finally stayed the course but by then it was too late. ( )
  Catsysta | Aug 5, 2018 |
My favorite book by this author, Heartless provides the origin story for The Queen of Hearts from "Alice in Wonderland." This story is set in Wonderland, so readers will be excited to encounter The Mad Hatter and the Cheshire Cat. The tale focuses specifically on Catherine (Cath) as a young woman who loves to bake delicious pastries. She has a chance encounter with a handsome stranger named Jest and begins to fall in love. However, the king wants to marry Cath and her parents also want that. Readers will find themselves rooting for Cath and Jest, despite knowing that their love is doomed from the beginning, since we all know she will become the evil Queen of Hearts. ( )
  Meliss8065 | Jul 12, 2018 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Collins, PatrickDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I pictured to myself the Queen of Hearts
as a sort of embodiment of ungovernable passion -
a blind and aimless Fury.
--Lewis Carroll
For Mom
Three luscious lemon tarts glistened up at Catherine.

In this prequel to Alice in Wonderland, Cath would rather open a bakery and marry for love than accept a proposal from the King of Hearts, especially after meeting the handsome and mysterious court jester.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,984,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible