An Untamed State (2014)

by Roxane Gay

Mireille Duval Jameson is a rich and self-assured Haitian woman who is kidnapped by a gang of heavily armed men. Held captive by a man who calls himself the Commander, Mireille must endure his torment until her unwilling father pays up.
    The Devil's Feather by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The Devil's Feather is a more suspenseful and less nuanced novel than An Untamed State, but both books feature disturbing, psychologically intimate, and emotionally powerful stories of women recovering from being kidnapped and sexually assaulted in foreign countries.… (more)

Started off good but Michael is an annoying ass from beginning to end and his kidnapped wife became annoying pretty quickly. ( )
  Jinjer | Jul 19, 2021 |
Amazing. Helps to answer what can we do to build trust with those we have hurt. ...with those we have allowed to be hurt while we stood idly by. ( )
  nsol | Dec 21, 2020 |
Roxane Gay thanked Channing Tatum for his neck, in the acknowledgments for this novel. I thank him too, but also Gay, for this gorgeous, devastating book about the atrocities of man, and how sometimes, maybe, women survive them. ( )
  kickthebeat | Nov 1, 2020 |
Wow. An Untamed State is the tale of an American woman of Haitian descent who is kidnapped while visiting her parents in Haiti. Mireille and her husband, Michael, along with their son, Christophe, are headed to the beach when they are surrounded by SUVs. The men in the SUVs jump out and pull Miri away and keep her captive for 13 days while demanding a ransom from her father, a successful businessman.
The story tells of Miri and Michael’s idyllic life before the kidnapping and their struggle to find their way back to some kind of normalcy after the kidnapping.
The horror Miri experiences is detailed and truly terrible. Her PTSD after the kidnapping seems very real and is so heartbreaking. Michael’s struggle to grow up and accept his wife and her trauma was interesting to read. I enjoyed reading the perspective of Michael’s parents and Miri’s sister, and how they helped Miri and Michael.
I read this book almost without stopping, it held my attention so completely.
#AnUntamedState #RoxaneGay ( )
  rmarcin | Jun 8, 2020 |
Until that moment, Michael had not understood the vastness of the world and how small a place he held in it...

Fuck, just... fuck. I knew just a few pages in that this would confirm Roxane Gay's presence on my list of favourite authors but I didn't know it confirm it this much. Like, I still have no words a week later, just... wow. It's haunting, it's raw, it's powerful and it's beautiful. And it's so fucking good. ( )
  autisticluke | Nov 14, 2019 |
A harrowing and emotionally cleareyed vision of one woman’s ordeal during and after her kidnapping in Haiti.
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reviews (Mar 13, 2014)

For women, the world over
Once upon a time, in a far-off land, I was kidnapped by a gang of fearless yet terrified young men with so much impossible hope beating inside their bodies it burned their very skin and strengthened their will right through their bones.
“I am going to come clean with you, Mireille. You will get better but you will never be okay, not in the way you once were. There is no being okay after what you’ve been through.”
It is often women who pay the price for what men want.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,167,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible