Jubilee Trail by Gwen Bristow

Jubilee Trail

by Gwen Bristow

This book was a little too soap-opera-y to me. ( )
  Janellreads | Oct 18, 2017 |
I decided to re-read the 1950 historical novel Jubilee Trail by Gwen Bristow because when I originally discovered this author in my teens some forty years ago, I galloped through all her books in record time and, looking back, I had a hard time remembering which one was which. Set in the 1840’s, Jubilee Trail is the story of two women who meet and although are very different in both personality and background, forge a strong friendship. For different reasons they undertake the hardship of wagon travel across America to the then-Mexican territory of California.

There is a lot to take in with this book. The story is long and epic and the author includes meticulous historical detail about the early days of California both as a Mexican territory and then it’s acquisition by the United States. The rebellious and resilient heroines and the men they become involved with are adventurous and colorful. The settings are varied, from the rich land holdings of deeded rancheros to a lively bar and gambling hall in the small, disreputable town of Los Angeles.

I felt that the author was a little long winded in her detailed descriptions and her characters were slightly cookie-cutter including as it did the bad woman with the heart of gold and the naive good girl who was looking to escape her genteel upbringing. Yet this stirring story still managed to totally captivate me with it’s sweeping adventure. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Sep 9, 2017 |
On of my favorite books of all time. ( )
  Mirkwood | May 10, 2013 |
As the forward says, it's the 1950's writing about the 1840's, and it's long. But not boring, and so far as I know, historically accurate. the view of the "diggers" and of slavery depicts the veiws of the 1840's.

I didn't read this one of Bristow's books as a teenager, guess the library didn't have it. ( )
  Janientrelac | Jan 21, 2011 |
Interesting historical romance with the emphasis on the historical rather than the romance. Have to admit that I rather enjoyed reading more about Garnet's (the main character) friend Florinda (the bad girl with a heart of gold type), and tended to admire the latter more than the former. The historial aspects of the novel are reasonably accurate, but what I do dislike about the book are the clearly negative racial images and negative stereotypes of the native Californians. They are portrayed as fat, lazy, dirty and generally as sub-human, with no clear or fair explanation of what dreadful persecutions these people had undergone. The sufferings and injustices plied upon the Californian tribes was unbelievably terrible, and what is more alarming is that the information is generally quite scanty. The author's views of the characters' circumstances are locked in the mindset of her times (written in 1950) and "manifest destiny" is still considered rational, appropriate and a source of pride. Despite what some readers may find distasteful today, it still is a ripping good yarn and keeps you interested from start to finish. The language is simple enough for a youth reader, rich enough for adults. The romantic scenes are tame and understated by today's standards, again making it a good choice for younger readers. ( )
  TurtleCreekBooks | Dec 11, 2010 |

Gwen Bristowprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kars, CoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Bruce
In the summer of 1844, Garnet Cameron graduated from Miss Wayne's Select Academy for Young Ladies.

Yearning for adventure, Garnet Cameron, a well-bred New York socialite of the 1840s, marries Oliver Hale, a trader about to cross the mountains and deserts to California. During Garnet and Oliver's honeymoon in New Orleans, she meets a dance-hall performer on the lam who calls herself Florinda Grove and is also traveling to California. Along the Jubilee Trail, Garnet and Florinda meet all manner of people, and together they make their painstaking way over the harsh trail to Los Angeles, learning how to live without compromise and discover both true friendship and true love.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,814,584 books! | Top bar: Always visible