Lucia in London (1927)

by E. F. Benson

Series: Mapp and Lucia (3)

Pepino's Aunt dies, and all are curious as to what she has left her sole surviving relative. Lucia gradually lets slip that there is a house in Brompton Square, London, with a quantity of furniture, and an annual income of three thousand pounds. Lucia leaves for London, seen off only by Georgie. Meanwhile Daisy has a great idea: to set up a museum with various Roman coins and bits of old brickwork. She contacts Georgie who promptly agrees to help. but Lucia has not been asked to take part, and her revenge on Georgie is sharp...… (more)

English (14)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (16)
Comedic sublime. Very much reads like a sequel, actually, so I recommend reading Queen Lucia first, as the entire town's desperately relatable love-hate relationship with the title character really does build from there. ( )
  therebelprince | Jun 24, 2021 |
Lucia carries on in her unmistakeable manner, but shows a touching concern for Peppino at the end that reveals there is more to her than her socialite sensibilities. Perhaps she's always felt a true affection for the people around her, but now we can see that she is capable of caring. ( )
  PatsyMurray | Jul 24, 2020 |
Social piranha
feasting on the London set
too fat for her pond. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
I don't understand why I love the residents of Riseholme and Tilling so much. They really are the most vapid, conniving, hidebound, silly snobs you could ever imagine, and Lucia and Miss Mapp are the worst of the bunch. And yet, when they do occasionally get their comeuppance, I can't help but feel a pang. And I'm always eager to read more. ( )
1 vote rosalita | Mar 14, 2018 |
August 2017 reread: Lucia's social climbing in London wasn't as amusing as the reactions of the people in Riseholme. Lucia's ambitions and disregard of her husband made her less sympathetic than I found her in the first book, Queen Lucia. However she is back to her previous good form in the last few chapters so I look forward to reading the next book sometime soon. ( )
  leslie.98 | Aug 11, 2017 |

E. F. Bensonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Riess, LyndaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sutton, GeorginaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Considering that Philip Lucas's aunt who died early in April was no less than eighty-three years old, and had spent the last seven of them bedridden in a private lunatic asylum, it had been generally and perhaps reasonably hoped among his friends and those of his wife that the bereavement would not be regarded by either of them as an intolerable tragedy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,645,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible