Mark Twain's Letters from Hawaii by Mark…

Mark Twain's Letters from Hawaii (1866)

by Mark Twain

206186,079 (3.5)2

This is Twain at his sarcastic, anti-imperialist best. There is a long passage about Hawaiian sugar production that I skimmed, and he has (some of) the typical prejudices of his time concerning Western culture and values, but his observations about Hawaiian politics and his descriptions of a pre-tourist Hawaii are insightful. Also,of course, there is his self-deprecating humor. His description of horseback riding in the mountains had me laughing out loud. ( )
  kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |

Mark Twainprimary authorall editionscalculated
Day, A. GroveEditormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pechmann, AlexanderEditormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
We arrived here today at noon, and while I spent an hour or so talking, the other passengers exhausted all the lodging accommodations of Honolulu.

"I went to Maui to stay a week and remained five. I had a jolly time. I would not have fooled away any of it writing letters under any consideration whatever." --Mark Twain

So Samuel Langhorne Clemens made his excuse for late copy to the Sacramento Union, the newspaper that was underwriting his 1866 trip. If the young reporter's excuse makes perfect sense to you, join the thousands of Island lovers who have delighted in Twain's efforts when he finally did put pen to paper.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:45 -0400)

Letters from Hawaii contains a collection of letters Mark Twain wrote for a newspaper publication. From a long, turbulent journey to the island, to his encounters with the islanders and the myriad englishmen who have taken up residence on the island. These letters are sure to be an entertaining and well written account of the humours encounters and scenic adventures that Twain experienced on his journey to Hawaii.… (more)

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,373,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible