Some Luck by Jane Smiley

3.5 stars. ( )
  Thebrownbookloft | Jun 29, 2018 |
I'm not really sure what I think about this. Fascinating character study. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
Not much to this book. I kept waiting for something to happen, but it didn't. It was just a series of events. I won't be reading more. ( )
  KarlaC | Mar 26, 2018 |
This book captivated me at first. I loved reading how an infant felt about teething pain and being bundled into a snowsuit. The family becomes enjoyable to read about.
Walter & Rosanna have bought a farm and Walter's whole life is the farm. They have children, and we read about these children growing and becoming their own beings. Some continue to farm, others want to get away from it as fast as possible.

While this was enjoyable to read, I felt there was really no plot to the book. It reads (knowing that there are two more books in a series) like a preface to something more, and that is all. Sad that the book didn't really have a story with an ending. ( )
  JReynolds1959 | Feb 14, 2018 |
This engrossing novel brings us into the lives of the Langdon family living on a farm in Iowa. We are swept along as their lives unfold and their world changes from the 1920s to the 1950s. We begin when Walter, a WWI veteran, and Rosanna are young newlyweds, expecting their first child. Each chapter brings with it a new year and more changes as the family grows and Walter and Rosanna try to raise their children with strong values and successful futures in a world full of technological, political, and social changes. Each one of the five Langdon children has their own unique personality and story. We are privileged enough to follow along as they grow into adults and discover who they are. This is a beautifully written novel about the strength of family, surviving in the face of hardship and loss, and the beauty and possibility of the legacy we leave behind. This is one story that I didn’t want to end!

Bettina P. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
This trilogy is dedicated to John Whiston, Bill Silag, Steve Mortensen, and Jack Canning, with many thanks for decades of patience, laughter, insight, information, and assistance.
Walter Langdon hadn't walked out to check the fence along the creek for a couple of months--now that the cows were up by the barn for easier milking in the winter, he'd been putting off fence-mending--so he hadn't seen the pair of owls nesting in the big elm.
Walter Langdon hadn't walked out to check the fence along the creek for a couple of months-now that the cows were up in the barn for easier milking in the winter, he'd been putting off the fence mending-so he hadn't seen the pair of owls nesting in the big elm.

"An epic novel that spans thirty years in the lives of a farm family in Iowa, telling a parallel story of the changes taking place in America from 1920 through the early 1950s"--Provided by publisher.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,134,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible