Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan

Little Beach Street Bakery (2014)

by Jenny Colgan

Series: Little Beach Street Bakery (1)

Polly Waterford is recovering from a toxic relationship. Unable to afford their flat, she has to move miles away from everyone, to a sleepy little seaside resort in Cornwall, where she lives alone above an abandoned shop. And so Polly takes out her frustrations on her favourite hobby: making bread. But what was previously a weekend diversion suddenly becomes far more important as she pours her emotions into kneading and pounding the dough, and each loaf becomes better and better. With nuts and seeds, olives and chorizo, with local honey (courtesy of local bee keeper, Huckle), and with reserves of determination and creativity Polly never knew she had, she bakes and bakes and bakes. . . And people start to hear about it. Sometimes, bread really is life. . . And Polly is about to reclaim hers.… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, tiffanied, Lucie02, DeBruyn, sherlock134, GRgenius, moranmc, akbooks, ibturner, KayKay94

English (29)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (31)
I really enjoyed this book set in Cornwall. meeting the different village characters was an interesting read in itself. the book has wonderful recipes in it too ( )
  TheReadingShed | Aug 25, 2019 |
This was a cozy read with lots of romance and humor.
Polly's advertising agency, which she leads with her estranged husband in Plymouth is bankrupt.
Therefore, she decides to start a new life on a small island by indulging in her favorite hobby, bread making. The resident old baker, who has not baked bread for a long time, is not thrilled, but all the inhabitants of the small island and the fishermen secretly buy Pollys bread. She quickly makes friends with the fishermen and a wounded puffin, whom she nursed back to health, is her faithful companion.
Polly quickly dives into island life, falls in love, but has to realize that she is only exploited. But an American dropout has also kept an eye on her. Until their love is something, still pass various adventures. ( )
  Ameise1 | Aug 24, 2019 |
Cornwall, romantic, baker, contemporary, life-changes, library-audiobook, life-lessons

Excellent read from an author I've never encountered. Had to laugh at myself after I got into the story as the book was recommended by my library and I had just finished reading the Corinna Chapman series about a second career baker! Polly's life and perspective have taken a nosedive because she has become essentially bankrupt and her longtime partner is so involved in his own pity party that he can't see that she has problems too. She has to find an exceptionally inexpensive place to live, and here is where the real story begins. Excellent storytelling with some really fun twists!
Velda Dehmlow is marvelous as the audio performer! ( )
  jetangen4571 | Jul 16, 2019 |
After reading Christmas at Little Beach Street Bakery, book three in the Little Beach Street Bakery series did I just have to read the first book because I found the one I read marvelous.

Jenny Colgan has quickly become a favorite author of mine. I love the mix of seriousness and humor in her books and several times did I smile as I read this book. However, it's not all smile and laughter, and since I have I read book three did I know that I should not become too attached to a person that is not longer in the story after this book. I failed at that, to be honest, the person in question become one of my favorites, despite the person not being fully truthful to Polly.

Little Beach Street Bakery is a wonderful book, there are so many wonderful parts in the book, like everything concerning Neil the puffin, Polly secretly baking bread to everyone (long story read the book), her best friend Kerensa and Reuben and their weird kind of "thing". Polly getting to know Tarnie and Huck, the two men in her life. No, this is not a triangle drama book. I even liked in a heartbreaking way the sad part of the book that came towards the later part of the book. The only thing that felt a bit off was part of the ending, I did like the last part, the wedding is marvelous, but I found myself annoying with the whole relationship drama towards the end of the book with miss misunderstandings and hurt feelings. Still, the book is definitely a really good book, despite the weaker part at the end of the book and I hope to read book two soon!

One thing, that confused me, in this book Polly's father died when she was twenty and she has a brother. But in Christmas at Little Beach Street Bakery did her father walk out of her mother before she was born, and she has no sibling. Both books I've read has been in Swedish, is it a translation problem or is it a miss from the author side? ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
This author is someone I started reading just recently and I'm enjoying catching up on her books :)

Polly has to start over when she breaks up with her long term boyfriend, they lose their business and have to sell their house. In her search to find an affordable place to rent, she finds the small town of Mount Polbearne.
She remembers from a field trip as a child but never pictured living there.

It's basically closed off from the outside world when the tide changes.
And the house Polly can afford to rent is in terrible shape. But it had a nice little set up for cooking and Polly has always found baking bread to be comforting.

This book honestly had me totally sold on it when they introduced the baby Puffin. I (rightfully) felt that I could trust this author to keep the puffin safe.
Does that sound silly? Maybe. But if there's an animal in a book I'm reading, even though it's fictional, I need that animal to be ok :)

Highlights:
Puffin
Descriptions of bread baking
Cute quaint little town
Fun cast of characters

I like the quirky towns people and I like how I can't predict at the beginning of the book who the character is going to wind up with.

My favorite by this author, so far, is The Cafe by the Sea. Given that it's her latest book, I think that's a good sign. ( )
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |

Colgan, Jennyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dehmlow, VeidaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karlström, BirgittaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I wish I was a fisherman/ Tumbling on the seas/ Far away from dry land/ And its bitter memories/ Casting out my sweet line/ With abandonment and love/ No ceiling bearing down on me/ 'Cept the starry sky above/ With light in my head/ You in my arms/ Woohoo! - The Waterboys, 'Fisherman's Blues'
Rise up rise up you fine young men/ The ship she sails in the morn/ Whether it's windy, whether it's cold, or whether there's a deadly storm - 'Sir Patrick Spens', c.14th century, traditional
Years later, when she was an old lady, and many miles away, Polly would find it hard to explain that that was how they had lived back then.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,820,966 books! | Top bar: Always visible