Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan

Little Beach Street Bakery (2014)

by Jenny Colgan

Series: Little Beach Street Bakery (1)

English (25)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (27)
An amateur baker's prowess takes village by storm and tech billionaire throws lavish party whilst the native baker and trawler are displaced. ( )
  paperdust | Jul 16, 2018 |
Polly’s life is in shambles: a bad relationship that has left her homeless, jobless and almost penniless. Moving away from the city and her friends to find herself is a difficult, but logical choice. Down the Cornwall coast is Polbearne a small island, that's isolated by the tides which offers the refuge and quiet that Polly needs.

A few days after moving to the island a massive storm hits the island and brings her something to focus on in the form of a baby puffin which she names Neil. Polly finds that the island is home to a community that is surviving on hard work, determination and stubbornness. Polly is tired of feeling sorry for herself and she’s at loose ends about what she should do with her life, but, refuge comes in the form of kneading and baking loaves of bread.

Soon Polly’s life becomes a mix of moments with Neil, struggling with the island’s bakery owner who happens to be her landlord, and becoming a part of the town. Polly finds herself loving her new life on the island and also falling in love with the other outsider to the island, Huckle who makes and sells honey made from his beehives.

This is an uplifting story about finding your life's passion, taking chances, working hard and summoning your courage to change who you are and what's important to you. All of the characters were written with their own form of differences which helped bring them together as a community, when some of them think that they had nothing in common.
  FaytheShattuck | May 23, 2018 |

FaytheShattuck | May 23, 2018 |
When I read chick lit, I read Brit chick lit and so I was very happy & satisfied with this one. Adored it & will definitely read the next in the series. Polly was a character I rooted for from the start and I very much wanted things to work out for her. She had a tough go with bankruptcy and the break-up with Chris (who I thought was a first class twerp most of the story but who had a redemptive salvo) and while things didn't just go perfectly for her when she moved to Polbearne it was still a considerable improvement. From the first loaf of bread that she made complete with her own tears, I was swept away. Neil, the puffin brought a first friend and much needed levity & also something to care for. I loved meeting the fishermen. I thought Tarnie had better romantic chemistry with Polly but I can see why Huckle had to be the one in the end (hopefully his & Polly's romantic chemistry is better in the next book). Gillian was from hell and even when I found out what ailed her psyche, I still didn't feel that justified the horrible way she treated everyone (who the hell tries to outlaw bagels for an entire town?!). She acted like she'd cornered the market on a hard life and took it out on everyone else and they all cowered and kowtowed to her! I liked that Polly felt charitable pity for Gilllian and her situation because I'd none to give. I did like how the two were sort of in a lifeboat situation for work and how that gave Polly the space to bake and thrive that she needed. I liked Huckle and his friend Reuben (who I just knew was going to be the perfect match for Kerensa).

Polbearne was an adorable setting and described beautifully even in the off-season full of likable characters that I didn't want to leave just yet. I enjoyed reading about it and very much look forward to the next installment. I'd definitely recommend this one for a weekend or vacation read (perhaps in a sleepy seaside). ( )
  anissaannalise | Feb 28, 2018 |
After reading "Christmas at Little Beach Street Bakery," I had a keen desire to find out how it all started, especially how Polly acquired Neil, the puffin. The the book was long, I got through it quickly. ( )
  eliorajoy | Feb 22, 2018 |

Colgan, Jennyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dehmlow, VeidaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karlström, BirgittaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I wish I was a fisherman/ Tumbling on the seas/ Far away from dry land/ And its bitter memories/ Casting out my sweet line/ With abandonment and love/ No ceiling bearing down on me/ 'Cept the starry sky above/ With light in my head/ You in my arms/ Woohoo! - The Waterboys, 'Fisherman's Blues'
Rise up rise up you fine young men/ The ship she sails in the morn/ Whether it's windy, whether it's cold, or whether there's a deadly storm - 'Sir Patrick Spens', c.14th century, traditional
Years later, when she was an old lady, and many miles away, Polly would find it hard to explain that that was how they had lived back then.

Polly Waterford flees to the Cornish coast to escape a ruined relationship. To keep her mind off her troubles, she throws herself into her favorite hobby: making bread. But her relaxing weekend diversion quickly develops into a passion. As she pours her emotions into kneading and pounding the dough, each loaf becomes better than the last. Soon, Polly is working her magic with nuts and seeds, chocolate and sugar, and the local honey--courtesy of a handsome beekeeper. Packed with laughter and emotion, Little Beach Street Bakery is the story of how one woman discovered bright new life where she least expected it.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,806,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible