Nemo: The Roses of Berlin by Alan Moore
1911090,606 (3.24)3

Curiously flat and absent the inspiration that marks the other volumes of the series. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
Review first posted on BookLikes: http://brokentune.booklikes.com/post/917335/the-league-of-extraordinary-gentleme...

For my latest reading adventure, I've picked up a couple of graphic novels - a genre I have largely neglected to explore so far.

Captain Nemo is one of my favourite Jules Verne characters. So, it is no surprise that I'm intrigued by any story that uses the theme of the rogue captain.

This particular treatment was interesting as Nemo here has no similarity with Verne's character - except from having access to a submarine. Btw, this is not a bad thing and I'm not holding it against the book. On the contrary, I like that the LoG Nemo is a standalone character because it makes the original sub-aquatic adventure very distinct from this story - which is rather dull and so laden with cliches that I caught myself thinking "Oh, what tosh!" nearly every three pages.

What I loved about this book: the illustrations are fantastic! ( )
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
Another disappointing Alan Moore book ( )
  Hassanchop | Jul 4, 2016 |
This one actually had some style, and it seems like being called out has had good effects on Moore: I don't know whether he has really done some soul-searching and realized that as distinct from the repression and yearning of ... (I actually almost don't know what? Rick Wakeman solos? Peyton Place???? What the fuck did anyone think they were rebelling against with this stuff anytime after about 1968? Was this all just comics once again showing themselves a conservative medium, where the sixties didn't arrive till the eighties? I am tired and perplexed), our present collective shadow and subconscious, that which is to be fled from in the name of freedom, is the infinite cloaca that is the internet. Maybe. But he does a pretty good period piece with steampunk Nazis and the robot from Metropolis, which was a key piece of art for me in my own cultural burgeoning around the beginning of university (along with the postpunks, along with the works of Alan Moore, along with the internet for learning, let me not be ungrateful here) and one I remain fond of. And no rapes, huzzah, no rapes for all, though I still worry that O'Neill thinks he is making cultural commentary when he spatters Nazi brains over everything. God, writing about comic books is so often exhausting! ( )
2 vote MeditationesMartini | May 9, 2016 |
The least of the 'Gentlemen' series, and have large swathes of the text in German (with no translation) just comes across as smug. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |

Alan Mooreprimary authorall editionscalculated
O'Neill, KevinIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Heil Hynkel...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 086166230X, Hardcover)

From The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen! Sixteen years ago, notorious science-brigand Janni Nemo journeyed into the frozen reaches of Antarctica to resolve her father's weighty legacy in a storm of madness and loss, barely escaping with her Nautilus and her life. Now it is 1941, and with her daughter strategically married into the family of aerial warlord Jean Robur, Janni's raiders have only limited contact with the military might of the clownish German-Tomanian dictator Adenoid Hynkel. But when the pirate queen learns that her loved ones are held hostage in the nightmarish Berlin, she has no choice save to intervene directly, travelling with her ageing lover Broad Arrow Jack into the belly of the beastly metropolis. Within that alienated city await monsters, criminals, and legends, including the remaining vestiges of Germany's notorious 'Twilight Heroes', a dark Teutonic counterpart to Mina Murray's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. And waiting at the far end of this gauntlet of alarming adversaries there is something much, much worse. Continuing in the thrilling tradition of Heart of Ice, Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill rampage through twentieth-century culture in a blazing new adventure, set in a city of totalitarian shadows and mechanical nightmares. Cultures clash and lives are lost in the explosive collision of four unforgettable women, lost in the black and bloody alleyways where thrive The Roses of Berlin.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:29 -0400)

Sixteen years ago, notorious science-brigand Janni Nemo journeyed into the frozen reaches of Antarctica to resolve her father's weighty legacy in a storm of madness and loss, barely escaping with her Nautilus and her life. Now it is 1941, and with her daughter strategically married into the family of aerial warlord Jean Robur, Janni's raiders have only limited contact with the military might of the clownish German-Tomanian dictator Adenoid Hynkel. But when the pirate queen learns that her loved ones are held hostage in the nightmarish Berlin, she has no choice save to intervene directly, travelling with her ageing lover Broad Arrow Jack into the belly of the beastly metropolis. Within that alienated city await monsters, criminals, and legends, including the remaining vestiges of Germany's notorious 'Twilight Heroes', a dark Teutonic counterpart to Mina Murray's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. And waiting at the far end of this gauntlet of alarming adversaries there is something much, much worse. Continuing in the thrilling tradition of Heart of Ice, Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill rampage through twentieth-century culture in a blazing new adventure, set in a city of totalitarian shadows and mechanical nightmares. Cultures clash and lives are lost in the explosive collision of four unforgettable women, lost in the black and bloody alleyways where thrive The Roses of Berlin.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,626,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible