My True Love Gave to Me

by Stephanie Perkins (Editor)

Other authors: Holly Black (Contributor), Ally Carter (Contributor), Gayle Forman (Contributor), Jenny Han (Contributor), David Levithan (Contributor)6 more, Kelly Link (Contributor), Myra McEntire (Contributor), Matt de la Pena (Contributor), Rainbow Rowell (Contributor), Laini Taylor (Contributor), Kiersten White (Contributor)

"If you love holiday stories, holiday movies, made-for-TV-holiday specials, holiday episodes of your favorite sitcoms and, especially, if you love holiday anthologies, you're going to fall in love with My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories by twelve bestselling young adult writers, edited by the international bestselling Stephanie Perkins. Whether you enjoy celebrating Christmas or Hanukkah, Winter Solstice or New Years, there's something here for everyone. So curl up by the fireplace and get cozy. You have twelve reasons this season to stay indoors and fall in love"--… (more)

It’s Christmas book time! This had some really cute Christmas and holiday stories. My favorites were the ones that really went all out with the holiday cheer, drowning us in snowmen and peppermint latte goodness, like “Polaris Is Where You’ll Find Me” by Jenny Han where the main character Natalie is the daughter of Santa Claus (I just love the sweetness of Jenny Han stories, and this was such a North Pole treat), and Stephanie Perkins’ “It’s A Yuletide Miracle, Charlie Brown” which takes place on a Christmas tree lot.

David Levithan’s “Your Temporary Santa”, where a boy dresses as Santa to surprise his boyfriend’s little sister, was delightful and had an amazingly funny voice. “Christmas, California” just had such a sweet vibe and a great message. Warm snuggly feels all around. Ally Carter’s story was so sad and hopeful at the same time. Just a delightful collection.

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. Entered on screen reader.
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |
I give this collection 3.5 stars total. Short stories don't seem to be my thing. There just isn't enough time to get to know the characters or fully develop an interesting plot. So often I am left feeling the lack either wanting more or none at all, but not satisfied even if I liked it.
Midnights- 4/5
what the hell have you done sophie roth - 4/5
beer buckets and baby jesus - 4/5
welcome to Christmas ca - 4/5
star of bethlehem - 4/5
the girl who woke the dreamer - 4.5/5 ( )
  ChelseaVK | Dec 10, 2021 |
My comfort food in life is croissants, but my comfort books in life are the Stephanie Perkins anthologies. I've read this book every winter, when possible, for the past six years, and I still really like it. Actually, I probably like it more after reading it. I always try to get a physical copy of this book because I love the details on the cover, each couple from the twelve stories is depicted and you can figure out who is who based on neat, little details.

I'd recommend this as a winter read to those who like classic YA romance in bite-sized packets. The stories range a variety of genres and settings and are all clean (except for minor language). I like all the stories, but some are my favorites (the Rainbow Rowell one, the Christmas tree one, the Girl who Woke the Dreamer, the one about the singer, etc...). I'm ready for winter to come again so I can justify reading this again. ( )
  Emma.June.Lyon | Nov 1, 2021 |
Read:
Midnights, by Rainbow Rowell (95% / 4.75 stars)
The Girl Who Woke The Dreamer, by Laini Taylor (98% / 4.9 stars)
  melonah | Jan 9, 2021 |
Aside from one story (the fox one) I LOVED THIS BOOK, I might read it again at christmas time, some great contemporaries - some great storylines, Ally Carter broke my heart and made me weepy, damn books - seriously the fox one did nothing for me, I was so confused the whole time I read it, it ended up adorable but still, could have done without it - I, of course, loved the Rowell story too being one of my top authors! ( )
  ashezbookz | Oct 20, 2020 |

Han, JennyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Levithan, DavidContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Link, KellyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McEntire, MyraContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pena, Matt de laContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rowell, RainbowContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McManus, ShannonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quan, SamanthaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rubin, DustinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jarrod, best friend and true love
It was cold out on the patio, under the deck.
This anthology contains the following short stories:

Midnights / Rainbow Rowell

What the hell have you done, Sophie Roth? / Gayle Forman

Beer buckets and baby Jesus / Myra McEntire

Welcome to Christmas, CA / Kiersten White

Star of Bethlehem / Ally Carter

The girl who woke the dreamer / Laini Taylor.

contains:
Beer Buckets and Baby Jesus by Myra McEntire;
Welcome to Christmas, CA by Kiersten White;
Star of Bethlehem by Ally Carter;
The Girl Who Woke the Dreamer by Laini Taylor

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,084,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible