Heaven's Queen by Rachel Bach

Heaven's Queen

by Rachel Bach

Series: Paradox Trilogy (3)

2621967,396 (3.83)8
"From the moment she took a job on Captain Caldswell's doomed ship, Devi Morris' life has been one disaster after another: government conspiracies, two alien races out for her blood, an incurable virus that's eating her alive. Now, with the captain missing and everyone -- even her own government -- determined to hunt her down, things are going from bad to impossible. The sensible plan would be to hide and wait for things to blow over, but Devi's never been one to shy from a fight, and she's getting mighty sick of running. It's time to put this crisis on her terms and do what she knows is right. But with all human life hanging on her actions, the price of taking a stand might be more than she can pay" --… (more)

A very satisfying ending to a great series. Devi finished it all--on her terms. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
I received this book in a first reads giveaway on GoodReads.

Heaven’s Queen by Rachel Bach is the concluding novel in the Paradox trilogy and this, for the most part, nicely wraps up an entertaining series that has been a fun read. The first part of this book was a little slow and mainly centered on the romance between Devi and Rupert which led me to some concern that we were moving away from the kick ass action of the first two novels. The story does get back on track in the 2nd half of the book and leads to a very satisfying conclusion. It was still very character driven and not a lot of world building but this was expected.

4 stars (initial 3.5 rounded up for the trilogy) for a fun read. Recommended for all who like space operish action with a dash (or more) of romance thrown in.
  ConalO | Apr 23, 2018 |
The only reason this isn't getting one star is because I save that for books that I don't finish. I skimmed many repetitive paragraphs of junk text in this book.

If books 2 & 3 had been combined into a single book, it might have rated at least 3 starts. This book totally felt like nothing more than a fulfillment of a publisher contract.

Stop with the first book. ( )
  kwerle | Dec 13, 2017 |
I really had high hopes for this series - I really, really liked the first two installments. But I have to say - I was kind of bored with this last one. I kept sort of thinking, yadda yadda yadda, GET ON WITH IT ALREADY. There was really just nothing left to do in this book - no big reveals, no changing of the story, it was basically just follow-through/clean-up set up for the earlier books. I wish that she'd just had a better editor and condensed books two and three into one book. I loved the world she built, but I felt let down by some of the characters. Mabel? How is this the same person that was introduced in book one? By book three she's just a thug with no dialogue and no personality. Basil? We get one tiny glimpse of him ruffling his feathers. I don't know. I was just hoping for something a little more...satisfying. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
"" ( )
  b00kworm72 | Sep 1, 2015 |

Rachel Bachprimary authorall editionscalculated
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all my readers, the wonderful people whose support allows me to work the best job in the world.  All my books are for you, but this one especially.  Thank you.
Commander Brian Caldswell, head of the little-known and terribly named Joint Investigatory Spatial Anomaly Task Force, stood on the bridge of the Republican battle cruiser he'd requisitioned from fleet command an hour ago, staring through the huge observation window at the void beyond, a void that should have been a thriving planet of sixteen billion people, and wondering how everything could have gone so wrong so quickly.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,809,897 books! | Top bar: Always visible