This Is the Story of a Happy Marriage

by Ann Patchett

Ann Patchett, author of State of Wonder, Run, and Bel Canto, examines her deepest commitments-- to writing, family, friends, dogs, books, and her husband-- creating a resonant portrait of her life.
    On Writing by Stephen King (tandah)
    Havanas in Camelot: Personal Essays by William Styron (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though William Styron's prose tends to be bleaker than Ann Patchett's, readers will find both these essay collections absorbing explorations of their personal challenges and their relationships with people, places, and the arts.

This is a collection of articles she has previously published. I still don't get the title of this book. Some interesting stories and insights to life. Not my favorite...... ( )
  wincheryl | Jun 20, 2022 |
Great book! Highly recommend! ( )
  sharonlesch | Mar 1, 2022 |
Not everything in this collection interested me, but I don't know much about Ann Patchett's personal life, and these essays provided a lot of that. One passage I marked is from conversation between her and a friend about what makes a good husband (this excerpt is edited): Does your husband make you a better person? Are you smarter, kinder, more generous, more compassionate? Does your husband make you better? It's not more complicated than that. That's all there is. Does he make you better and do you make him better? Another passage I marked reminded me that we should value the people we care about: We are, on this earth, so incredibly small, in the history of time, in the crowd of the world, we are practically invisible, not even a dot, and yet we have each other to hold on to. ( )
  ReadMeAnother | Nov 12, 2021 |
Flawless, perfectly paced, and well-selected collection of essays. Although I've meant to try Ann Patchett's fiction for quite awhile, and still intend to, I'm so glad I picked this up first. ( )
  CaitlinMcC | Jul 11, 2021 |
I listened to this because I wanted to hear Ann Patchett's voice - I think authors reading their own stuff can be interesting. This was just a short freebie from Audible, but I enjoyed it. ( )
  jlweiss | Apr 23, 2021 |
For Karl
The tricky thing about being a writer, or about being any kind of artist, is that in addition to making art you also have to make a living.
Page 160:  Color, while being the most visible thing we can know about a tree, is…created by that part of light that the tree has cast off.  The tree absorbs all the other light waves of color, welcomes them as part of itself; the green we see is the negative, the reflected-off reality it wants no part of.  Where its definition of itself ends, our definition of it is just beginning.
This is a collection of essays that includes an essay of the same title. Please do not combine the two works.

Contents:
Nonfiction, an introduction
How to read a Christmas story
The getaway car : a practical memoir about writing and life
The sacrament of divorce
The Paris match
This dog's life
The best seat in the house
My road to Hell was paved
Tennessee
On responsibility
The wall
Fact vs. fiction
My life in sales
"The love between the two women is not normal"
The right to read
Do not disturb
Introduction to "The Best American Short Stories 2006"
Love sustained
The bookstore strikes back
This is the story of a happy marriage
Our deluge, drop by drop
Dog without end
The mercies.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,201,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible