dismiss

On Writing

by Stephen King

Other authors: Bertil Knudsen (Translator)

Stephen King reflects on how his writing has helped him through difficult times and describes various aspects of the art of writing.

English (412)  German (4)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (428)
The best description for this book in 10 words or less:
"Famous writer who financially struggled gives advice on writing."

For the story portion of the book, Stephen King is one of the greats in my book. His story is astounding with how he came from nothing to having a huge name. It is really inspiring to a struggling writer, like myself. It was overall a great book. I just wish there was more about Stephen King's life between his publication of Carrie and his accident in 1999.

For the craft portion of the book, King does an excellent way to paint a picture with words and humor that makes you want to continue reading. It makes you want to be under his wing as an intern

For the advice portion of the book, he makes the art of writing seem so easy when it is hard to even start. I felt like I was able to make some progress to writing my own book. I used this book as the pioneer book of many that will lead to my book writing journey.

Refer to my blog for a different view of this review:

Check out other books in my personal library for reviews and recommendations:
https://literarymary.libib.com/ ( )
  Marilyn95 | Jun 26, 2020 |
I find it interesting that this is one of the most recommended books out there on writing craft, because the sections that are actually about that are pretty standard, IMO. I think I enjoyed the autobiographical part at the start of the book more. I've read enough books on craft thanks to my masters that it all reads much the same at this point. Still, it's all told in King's usual highly-readable style. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
This was an interesting and insightful book. I loved that it had memoir elements as well as writing advice. I would recommend it to any aspiring author. ( )
  queenofthebobs | Jun 14, 2020 |
Fairly interesting ... nice mix of autobiographical story telling and insights on actual fiction-writing. Enjoyable! ( )
  JosephKing6602 | Jun 9, 2020 |
Kitap Stephen King'in yazar olmak isteyenlere bunu nasıl başaracakları ile ilgili tavsiyeler veriyor.Şu ana kadar King'den okuduğum ilk kurgu dışı kitap oldu ve oldukça bilgi edindim.Kitapla ilgili belirtmek istediğim bir nokta var,eğer yazarlıkla ilgili tavsiye almak istemiyorsanız bu kitabı King listenizin sonlarına doğru atın çünkü kitapta Mahşer,Çağrı,Kujo,Buick 8,Carrie(Göz),Kemik Torbası ve daha bir sürü kitabından spoiler var. ( )
  Tobizume | Jun 9, 2020 |

Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Honesty's the best policy. -- Miguel de Cervantes
Liars prosper. -- Anonymous
This book is dedicated to Amy Tan, who told me in a very simple and direct way that it was okay to write it.
C. V.
I was stunned by Mary Karr's memoir, The Liar's Club.
[Foreword] In the early nineties (it might have been 1992, but it's hard to remember when you're having a good time) I joined a rock-and-roll band composed mostly of writers.
[Second Foreword] This is a short book because most books about writing are filled with bullshit.
[Third Foreword] One rule of the road not directly stated elsewhere in this book: "The editor is always right."
"I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs and I will shout it from the rooftops."
"... there is a huge difference between story and plot. Story is honorable and trustworthy; plot is shifty and best kept under house arrest." (page 170)
(p79) Look — here's a table covered with a red cloth. ... Do we see the same thing? We'd have to get together and compare notes to make absolutely sure, but I think we do. There will be necessary variations, of course: some receivers will see a cloth which is turkey red, some will see one that's scarlet, while others may see still other shades. ... and a cat with an 8, clearly marked on its back in blue ink ... This is what we're looking at, and we all see it. I didn't tell you. You didn't ask me. I never opened my mouth and you never opened yours. We're not even in the same year together, let alone the same room ... except we are together. We're close. We're having a meeting of the minds.
(p102) The object of fiction isn't grammatical correctness but to make the reader welcome and then tell a story ...

Part memoir, part master class by one of the bestselling authors of all time, this superb volume is a revealing and practical view of the writer's craft, comprising the basic tools of the trade ever writer must have.
On Writing tells of

writer's background more than rules

aspirants should learn.

(legallypuzzled)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,680,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible