Everyday Sexism by Laura Bates

Everyday Sexism (2014)

by Laura Bates

Shrill by Lindy West (LAKobow)
    The Vagenda: A Zero Tolerance Guide to the Media by Holly Baxter (nessreader)
    nessreader: They're both about ordinary everyday examples of women being objectified and/or harrassed in western Europe. Vagenda is focussed on the dreadfullness of magazines aimed at women consumers, and how insidiously they undermine their readers. Everyday is a compiled twitter feed.… (more)

English (9)  Spanish (1)  All languages (10)
What an important book. I was appalled and saddened by the accounts I read, but not at all surprised. Anyone who thinks we don't need equality or feminism really needs to read this book...but sadly they are the sort of people who never will. Still, it fills me with hope that there are voices out there like this, and that so many of us (men as well as women) have not given up. This book is so accessible, with personal stories, tweets and facts built in to each of the very well written chapters. Chapters which cover every prominent issue that sexism taints, for both men and women. A really powerful book. ( )
1 vote SadieBabie | Jun 23, 2018 |
I don't really know what to say other than I am so glad I read this and want everybody else to read it too - male and female! Thoughtful, powerful and a real call to arms. I'm not going to be burning any of my underwear but I will be #shoutingback when ever I feel the need... ( )
  boobellina | Jul 12, 2017 |
  boobellina | Jul 12, 2017 |
This is a great, depressing book. When I talked to a friend about what I was reading, she didn't have a lot of interest in this one because, being a woman, she knows how much sexism is out there. Why read a book that is 400 pages of statistics and examples and narrative describing how rough it is to be a woman in the world when you’re living it?

Because it's important. It's important to know that we aren't alone. Plus, the book isn't just a giant collection of depressing statistics. It's also a discussion of how women are fighting back. It's really well done, with chapters devoted to different areas like how politicians are treated, how young girls are treated, how mothers (or assumed-to-be mothers) are treated. The author is also well aware of intersectionality, and devotes time to exploring how the compounding of harassment comes into play for women of color, or disabled people / people with disabilities, or older women.

I was annoyed that one of the pull quotes on the cover was from Cosmo and said the book was a 'Must read for all women.' No. It is a must read for all MEN first. They need to see the reality of their actions. We live it, we know it. We aren't the ones who need the education so much as men are. It's a long book, so not as easy a sell as, say, We Should All Be Feminists, which is barely longer than a booklet. But it's full of such solid information, in such an accessible form, that I would like to see more people reading it. I'd love to see people giving it to their sons in middle school, to start them understanding that women are not objects that exist for the amusement of men. They are people, they are not a monolith, and they deserve, just by virtue of existence, to be respected. ( )
  ASKelmore | Jul 9, 2017 |
Synopsis: While grim at times, Everyday Sexism held good discussions around sexism in the 21st Century. Significant progress has been made through the centuries in terms of women having equal rights however there are still instances that woman face every day. Each chapter addresses sexism in different aspects - including the workplace, motherhood and in media to name a few. There is even a chapter on sexism towards men.

The book is well-researched and includes statistics and examples from people contributing to the #EverydaySexism Twitter hashtag (which is still commonly used.)

My Opinion: Everyday Sexism is well-structured and written, making it easy to read. Highly recommend. ( )
  Moniica | Jun 30, 2017 |

"After experiencing a series of escalating sexist incidents, Laura Bates, a young journalist, started a project called 'everyday sexism' to raise the profile of these previously untold stories. Astounded by the response she received and the wide range of stories that came pouring in from all over the world, she quickly realised that the situation was far worse than she'd initially thought. Enough was enough. From being harrassed and wolf-whistled at on the street, to discrimination in the workplace and serious sexual assault, it was clear that sexism had become normalised. Bates decided it was time for women to lead a real change. Bold, jaunty but always intelligent, 'everyday sexism' is a protest against inequality that provides a unique window into the vibrant movement sparked by this juggernaut of stories - often shocking, sometimes amusing and always poignant. Welcome to the fourth wave of feminism"--Cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,569,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible