Intensity by Dean Koontz

Intensity (1995)

by Dean Koontz

A young woman witnesses the murder of a family by a killer and undertakes to capture him. She is Chyna Sheperd, a California psychology student staying at a friend's house when Edgler Vess, a "homicidal adventurer," arrives for a bit of fun. Chyna grabs a butcher's knife and hides in Vess' motor home where she finds more bodies, sees Vess kill again en route, is forced to flee, follows him in a stolen car, slips inside his house to find a girl prisoner--and becomes prisoner herself. By the author of Dark Rivers of the Heart.… (more)

English (52)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (54)
I listened for a little over an hour and just couldn't get into the book. So, I'll put the book away for awhile and maybe start the series again later. ( )
  buffalogr | Sep 13, 2019 |
Well, I will start by saying that the killer, Edgler Foreman Vess, is one of the more terrifying psychopaths that have appeared in the books I've read! Just completely gonzo! Meticulous, calculating, and perfectly content in the world he has created. A true horror!

But this book spends much too much time on the other side, the heroine, Chyna Shepherd. To explain her actions, the author tells us about her childhood. Over, and over, and over again. So much so, that I began to have the damn story memorized! I'm not sure what the purpose of this receptiveness was, but for me, it just annoyed the hell out of me! Each decision Chyna made "had" to be reinforced with a retelling of her childhood trauma. I thought for sure there would be a part where Chyna chose to put on a sweatshirt and then I'd be re-told that the reason she did so was due to what happened when she grew up! Dude, we don't all have the attention span of gnats!

Oh, and I liked the fact this book took place in parts, near where I live. And I liked the elk. ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Aug 27, 2019 |
Mother of dog, this book was bad.

Dull and idiotic for the most part. The worst was the never-ending description of the chair escape. It made me want to chew my own arm off in frustration. After four or five paragraphs I started skimming.

Evil dogs that can fight off ammonia in their mouths and eyes? Not in my world. The only redeeming quality of this book might be to show folks that dobermans used to be the go-to dog for evil, not pit-bulls. ( )
1 vote authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
Compassion: that inner need urging you to serve others even when it may cost you personally, and self-preservation: the need to avoid harm to self. These are feelings that most people have to some degree every day. You willingly give up a seat to a woman hobbling with a cane entering your subway car. But you later exit the car first because a suspicious person is eyeing your briefcase. These likely happen every day. But what if these two competing forces were brought to a climax at the same time? What if internally your conscience was screaming at you to help someone, but your self-preservation is also screaming that you must find a way to save yourself? This brings you to the height of internal intensity, after all survival is the only way to ensure you can execute the need to save.

This is, in my opinion, the premise of this pulse driving thriller. What is a person capable of when compassion and self-preservation reach such an intensity that both are relentlessly pushing you on? You must save. You must survive. Oh, and the force you're doing battle with? It is also intensely driven by pure evil without any apparent compassion or concern for self-preservation.

This is a book you do not want to put down. In the end you will feel a sense of both exhilaration and exhaustion. Then, finally triumph, but not the triumph you expected throughout the book. ( )
  BrannonSG | Mar 6, 2019 |
4.99

November 20, 2008

449 pgs ( )
  UM3050 | Jan 29, 2018 |
Hope is the destination that we seek.
Love is the road that leads to hope.
Courage is the motor that drives us.
We travel out of darkness into faith.

-THE BOOK OF COUNTED SORROWS-
This book if for Florence Koontz. My mother. Long lost. My guardian.
The red sun balances on the highest ramparts of the mountains, and in its waning light, the foothills appear to be ablaze.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,500,301 books! | Top bar: Always visible