Intensity (1995)

by Dean Koontz

A young woman witnesses the murder of a family by a killer and undertakes to capture him. She is Chyna Sheperd, a California psychology student staying at a friend's house when Edgler Vess, a "homicidal adventurer," arrives for a bit of fun. Chyna grabs a butcher's knife and hides in Vess' motor home where she finds more bodies, sees Vess kill again en route, is forced to flee, follows him in a stolen car, slips inside his house to find a girl prisoner--and becomes prisoner herself. By the author of Dark Rivers of the Heart.… (more)

English (55)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (57)
WOW. Terrifying. 20+ years later and I am still scared at the memories of this book. ( )
  Seayla2020 | Aug 20, 2021 |
I went back and forth between 3.5 and 4 stars for this one and rounded up mostly because the narration was well done.

I spent a good chunk of the first many chapters convinced that this was going to be just like the French movie High Tension. There were so many similarities but it turns out it was very different.

It's hard to describe this book without using the word "intense" so the title definitely fits. Although, that's not where the name comes from. You'll have to read it to find that out.

I definitely enjoyed the story and the two main characters. We get a pretty good look into the killer's head and I liked what Koontz did with him. He's not what I'm used to when it comes to reading about someone who enjoys torturing and killing people. Our heroine is interesting and bad-ass. And her childhood makes mine look like a lovely dream.

There were some places where my attention waned and I kind of wish it had ended sooner than it actually did but I still enjoyed the shit out of this book. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
The title says it all! ( )
  Yodareads12 | Nov 30, 2020 |
Growing up in an unusual way left Chyna Shepherd dealing with her life issues very differently then other might. After meeting her best friends family, seeing them murdered would leave anyone shaken and scared, but what Chyna did with her fear because of her past experiences completely changed not only her life, but life of another.

First time reading Dean Koontz, great story and the imagery was vivid. A few too many $6 words, I found google handy for the obscure billiards reference. Took the story past completion, but I enjoyed that. Just the right amount of dark psychological intrigue to catch my attention to the very end. ( )
  onyx95 | Nov 17, 2020 |
I listened for a little over an hour and just couldn't get into the book. So, I'll put the book away for awhile and maybe start the series again later. ( )
  buffalogr | Sep 13, 2019 |

Dean Koontzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burton, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hope is the destination that we seek.
Love is the road that leads to hope.
Courage is the motor that drives us.
We travel out of darkness into faith.

-THE BOOK OF COUNTED SORROWS-
This book if for Florence Koontz. My mother. Long lost. My guardian.
The red sun balances on the highest ramparts of the mountains, and in its waning light, the foothills appear to be ablaze.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,238,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible