Daring Miss Danvers

by Vivienne Lorret

It's all fun and games ... until someone falls in love. Oliver Goswick, Viscount Rathburn, needs money--and soon. With time ticking away and his inheritance held hostage until he's properly wed, Rathburn's slim options point to a single solution: a faux engagement. In need of the perfect bride, he knows of only one candidate: his best friend's wallflower sister. The plan seems flawless, except for one problem ... He can't help falling in love with her. Poised, polished Emma Danvers knows nothing good can come of Rathburn's scheme. Spending the next two months engaged in a mock courtship is not what she'd imagined for her final season. Yet, charmed by his roguish ways and the inexplicable hammering he causes in her heart, she accepts his challenge. For Emma, keeping the secret seemed easy when it was just a game ... But as Rathburn begins to see past her reserved exterior to the passionate woman within, the risk of losing her heart becomes all too real.… (more)

I LOVED buttoned-up Emma trying so hard to make up for her socially-shunned Bohemian parents, & Oliver the former-ne'er-do-well doing his best to rebuild after a family tragedy, & the adorable cast of family friends (can't wait to read about them in the sequels), & the fake courtship setup which leads to the hero realizing he's head-over-heels for his friend's baby sister & having to convince her that he's not teasing anymore. Some aspects of the plot were jerky, but overall, SO GOOD FOR ME. ( )
  epaulettes | Jan 3, 2019 |
Not terribly angsty, but just enough to get on that shelf. The heroine is a wallflower and the betrothal a sham, rife with all the misunderstandings and "unrequited" feelings one would expect from such a plot. I liked it a lot but probably would have enjoyed it even more if I had read it undisturbed instead of during work with a million interruptions. ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
Awhile back I read this collection of short stories, Five Golden Rings, and I liked the story Vivienne Lorret wrote, so I was looking forward to this story.

I wasn’t surprised to find it one of the sweetest stories I’ve read. Everyone in it was interesting and likable, especially our hero and heroine.

Emma was such a sweetheart! No wonder Oliver picked her for his pretend betrothed. His grandmother was sure to love her!

He was such a rascal and a wonderful man. I loved the way he approached a problem, and the obstacles to his plans.

I also enjoyed their romance and the chemistry was undeniable. It fairly jumped off the pages.

I highly recommend this fast-paced, well written and charming romance.

Melanie for b2b

Complimentary copy provided by the publisher
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
I have said time and time again. I am a sucker for a spinster or wallflower romance. This time the proper wallflower Emma Danvers find that she willing gives herself over to a faux engagement to the roguish ways of Viscount Rathburn. Her brother’s friend. All this of course was to gain the inheritance that pinned the future on a marriage.

I was swept into the read with the characters and the ups and downs of Oliver and Emma’s adventure of faux engagement. Then to watch them fall in love was entertaining. Emma wanted nothing to do with falling in love because she would be left hurt at the end of all this but things change. Oliver saw the sensual creature that lay beneath the proper exterior that she showed the ton.

The banter was charming. The blooming relationship was taking place before all but neither could truly see it. I just felt from the beginning of it all that this was a sweet, yet delightful road to romance that they both will cherish for life.

Through it all I was always comparing things to my favorite wallflowers (from Eloisa James and Lisa Kleypas) and the reason that I love them so much. The storyline was good. The characters I loved. The off color remarks or more so the off continent verbiage and out of context references did not change the way that I enjoyed the story. ( )
  thebookjunkiereads | Dec 21, 2016 |
It's all fun and games … until someone falls in love.
Oliver Goswick, Viscount Rathburn, needs money—and soon. With time ticking away and his inheritance held hostage until he's properly wed, Rathburn's slim options point to a single solution: a faux engagement. In need of the perfect bride, he knows of only one candidate: his best friend's wallflower sister. The plan seems flawless; except for one problem… He can't help falling in love with her.
For Emma, keeping the secret seemed easy when it was just a game … But as Rathburn begins to see past her reserved exterior to the passionate woman within, the risk of losing her heart becomes all too real.
Historical romances have always been my first book love and Daring Miss Danvers has slipped up into my top 10 of all-time favorites. I literally fell in love with every character of this book, not just the main characters, even though "Emma-Mine" and Oliver (Rathburn) stole my heart. I also loved Emma's eccentric Mother Celeste. Her annoying but loyal brother Rafe and Olivers (Rathburn) commanding Grandmother the Dowager Duchess.
Ms. Lorrets writing flows so seamlessly that it truly made me feel a part of the book. Like I was there, watching Emma and Oliver (Rathburn) falling in love firsthand. There was no predictability that most historical romances have become of late. The book is fresh and pulls you in from the first page. It was truly a pleasure to read.
This book earned 10 out of 10 from me for being original, brilliant and wishing I was born in a different century!
  Cara_Ross | Aug 16, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,093,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible