The Lady in the Lake (1943)

by Raymond Chandler

Series: Philip Marlowe (4)

A couple of missing wives--one a rich man's and one a poor man's--become the objects of Marlowe's investigation. One of them may have gotten a Mexican divorce and married a gigolo and the other may be dead. Marlowe's not sure he cares about either one, but he's not paid to care.

English (45)  Spanish (4)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (53)
Raymond Chandlers's fourth Philip Marlowe detective novel, "The Lady in the Lake" is one of the most popular entries for a reason. I guessed early on what was happening, but as more people entered the picture and the situation got more and more complicated, it was impossible to anticipate exactly where it was headed. The prose is clear, the characters are memorable, and there are plenty of twists. There were a couple loose ends that I wish had been built upon at the end, but I guess that only means that I wish the book had kept going. Definitely give this one a try. ( )
  greggmaxwellparker | Sep 24, 2020 |
So she pulled a gun," I said. "I think she meant to use it, but she got too close to me and I got a headlock on her. While we were wrestling around, somebody came out from behind a green curtain and slugged me. When I came out of that the murder was done. " The Lady in the Lake by Raymond Chandler
  taurus27 | Jun 4, 2020 |
Some Chandler books are good and I liked this one. The mystery wasn't ruined by excessive dialog and descriptions.
  bcrowl399 | Apr 16, 2020 |
had it solved by page 25 but it was a good story. ( )
  AnnaHernandez | Oct 17, 2019 |
Chandler's Philip Marlowe is the ultimate world weary detective, here conveyed via a serpentine plot. Almost poetic descriptions and deft characterizations lift this above the genre Chandler helped create. All Chandler is good, this sets about middle of the pack for his writing. The Long Goodbye being my favorite. A Los Angeles location of swank pads of the wealthy and seedy hotels where the rick rendevous with their dark appetites and the long dark streets and usually lead through empty streets and into the hills above LA...away from the lights and the police and often morality. A missing wife leads to another missing wife that may be linked or simply not what they seem. Who we are is often not limited to the name we carry. ( )
  KurtWombat | Sep 15, 2019 |

Is an adaptation of

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

The Treloar Building was, and is, on Olive Street, near Sixth, on the west side. The sidewalk in front of it had been built of black and white rubber blocks. They were taking them up now to give to the government, and a hatless pale man with a face like a building superintendent was watching the work and looking as if it was breaking his heart.
This is the 1943 novel that was based on a 1939 short story with the same title. Please do not combine the novel and the short story.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140108947, 0141399333, 0241956323

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,718,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible