The Mist in the Mirror: A Ghost Story by…

The Mist in the Mirror: A Ghost Story (1992)

by Susan Hill

The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters (lkernagh)
    The Man in the Picture by Susan Hill (sardav64)
    sardav64: A short eery novella that is perfect for long cold autumn and winter evenings

A good creepy story. Well paced, nicely framed, and good enough to send the occasional shiver down the spine. ( )
  JBD1 | Sep 15, 2018 |
I have not read Susan Hill’s mysteries, but her ghost stories are fun. Atmospheric, eerie, creepy, very Algernon Blackwood-ish. This slim novel tells the story of orphan James Monmouth, who has spent his adult life traveling and has become obsessed with another global traveler, Conrad Vane. He decides to write Vane’s biography, but is continually warned off by those who talk vaguely of Vane’s evil reputation, which made me think of Aleister Crowley.

Again, atmospheric, eerie, creepy. Hill is a master of the English ghost story aesthetic and all the silly Gothic trappings work very well. But, for me at least, the payoff was extremely disappointing. I wanted to learn much more than I did about the evil Vane. It felt like Hill was determined to write xx pages, and when she got to that number, she stopped. I felt frustrated. ( )
  CasualFriday | Nov 28, 2017 |
I loved this book from the very first page. The descriptions are beautiful and atmospheric, and I love how you get hints and glimpses of what happened in the past which makes the story gripping and intriguing. ( )
  LKChapman | Oct 27, 2017 |
More like 2.5 stars. It had some spooky moments, but overall I was underwhelmed. Susan Hill is always enjoyable to read; I love the atmosphere she creates with her ghost stories. The Woman In Black is her best by a long shot, though. ( )
  aclaybasket13 | Jul 29, 2016 |
This was actually a 4 star book until it utterly neglected to wrap up anything at the end. ( )
  angelaelectric | Jun 30, 2016 |
London, and the library of my Club, towards the end of an afternoon in late November, that bleak, dispiriting time of year when the golden Indian summer days that lingered on through October seem long gone, and it is yet too early to feel the approaching cheer of Christmas.  (Preface to Sir James Monmouth's manuscript)

Sir James describes the
Mystery surrounding him,
But questions remain.
(passion4reading)

An inveterate traveller, Sir James Monmouth has spent most of his life abroad. He arrives in England on a dark and rainy night with the intention of discovering more, not only about himself, but his obsession with Conrad Vane, an explorer. Warned against following his trail, Sir James experiences some extraordinary happenings — who is the mysterious, sad little boy, and the old woman behind the curtain? And why is it that he only hears the chilling scream and the desperate sobbing?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:13 -0400)

Archangel Gaaron and his chosen life-mate, Susannah, risk everything to stop a mysterious group of black-clad strangers who bring down fire from the sky, destroying everything in their wake. Legend has it that the original settlers of Samaria were carried there by the loving hands of the god Jovah. To keep the peace - he created a legion of land-dwelling angels, led by an appointed Archangel. Now, two hundred years later, Jovah's latest appointee is the Archangel Gaaron, whose dependability and allegiance to the people of Samaria make him a wise choice. And for Gaaron's life-mate, his Angelica, Jovah has chosen the woman Susannah, of the nomadic Edori tribe. With trepidation, Susannah bows to the will of Jovah. For her heart is still with her people and her Edori lover, faithless though he might be. In the lofty reaches of the Angel Eyrie, an unspoken affection slowly develops between the two. The word comes to Gaaron of a terrible threat besetting the land - black-clad strangers who call fire down from the sky, leaving death and destruction in their wake.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,434,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible