We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda…

We Should All Be Feminists (2014)

by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

The Clothing of Books by Jhumpa Lahiri (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Speeches by celebrated authors turned into slender books.

English (84)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (86)
A stocking filler. Under 50 short pages. I don't feel there was any particular new ground here. If you already agree with the title there is little inside that will startle you.

Still, worth reading and worth passing on to others. I will be giving it to my 18 year old daughter. She will know that it came from her father. We will all try to do better. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
A printed version of a TED talk given by Adichie on feminism. Super quick read and while it didn't bring any particular new thoughts on feminism, it was intriguing to see feminist ideas experienced by someone from a different cultural background than most titles that have been popular over the last few years. ( )
  MickyFine | Jan 30, 2019 |
In this essay/talk, Adichie sets out what I think is a basic. all-round case for feminism: if you think women and men ought to be treated equally, and if you think that sexism and patriarchal structures present obstacles, then you are a feminist. It's astonishing how popular such a basic statement of intent is: none of it should be controversial, but apparently it still is.

Part of that is perhaps that it's easy to affirm basic moral principles without then also taking action. Part of it is, perhaps, a measure of virtue-signaling. Then again, freedoms and ideals are always under threat, and efforts to preserve any gains that may have been won are at least as important as the effort spent in acquiring them in the first place.

So yes, it's sad that basic texts like these are still necessary, but it's a good thing that people keep putting them out there. ( )
  Petroglyph | Jan 18, 2019 |
Short and sweet, this essay about feminism is an argument for equality in a nutshell. I appreciate how Adichie separates feminism from other issues it often gets muddled with (class is a separate issue to tackle, she bluntly states) and the common arguments against feminism (things used to be bad for women, but everything's much better now, etc). Inspiring and to the point, this is an essay every young feminist (and really woman) should read. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jan 2, 2019 |
There's nothing I can really say that hasn't already been said about this powerful TED Talk turned essay. Except maybe, I wish I had read it sooner.

5 stars ( )
  flying_monkeys | Dec 23, 2018 |

Adichie, Chimamanda Ngoziprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Spinelli, FrancescaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wong, JoanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Introduction
This is a modified version of a talk I delivered in December 2012 at TEDxEuston, a yearly conference focused on Africa.
Okoloma was one of my greatest childhood friends.
These are little things, but sometimes it is the little things that sting the most.
Masculinity is a hard, small cage, and we put boys inside this cage.
But by far the worst thing we do to males—by making them feel they have to be hard—is that we leave them with very fragile egos. The harder a man feels compelled to be, the weaker his ego is.

And then we do a much greater disservice to girls, because we raise them to cater to the fragile egos of males.
The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations.
For centuries, the world divided human beings into two groups and then proceeded to exclude and oppress one group. It is only fair that the solution to the problem acknowledge that.

In this essay -- adapted from her TEDx talk of the same name -- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, award-winning author of Americanah, offers readers a unique definition of feminism for the twenty-first century, one rooted in inclusion and awareness. Drawing extensively on her own experiences and her understanding of the often masked realities of sexual politics, here is one remarkable author's exploration of what it means to be a woman now -- and an of-the-moment rallying cry for why we should all be feminists.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,459,233 books! | Top bar: Always visible