Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children: The Graphic Novel

by Ransom Riggs, Cassandra Jean (Illustrator)

Series: Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children (graphic novel 1)

"A horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob on a journey to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow-- impossible though it seems-- they may still be alive" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

I had no idea I was waiting for this book to come out, but here it is! I read this book (the novel version) back in 2011 when it first came out and fell in love. The story is engaging and fresh, with decent character development and amazing universe creation. If this were not so tightly woven with fantasy, it could almost be historical fiction. The graphic novel was released in 2013 and I completely missed it until now. I was so excited to go back and read through this childhood (well, young-adulthood) favorite!
  Mom_of_Moriarty | Jul 27, 2022 |
This was great new way to revisit the story. I loved how the graphics were only in colour for the Peculiars and not when Jacob was not believing in or with them. It did not have the same depth as the novel, but it captured it beautifully and the art matched the character description a whole lot more than the cast for the movie. ( )
1 vote afrozenbookparadise | Apr 22, 2021 |
This comic book kept my attention better than the novel did. ( )
  Teri_O | Nov 11, 2020 |
I wasn't going to review this because I thought, well, I've already read and reviewed the novel version of this book and they're almost the same...but then I checked and I actually haven't rated or reviewed the novel version even though I added it to Goodreads which is pretty shameful. So I'll have to go back and do that, but for now: this is a very faithful remake of the original novel. Which I was hoping it would be, as I was reading it basically to refresh my memory of the novel so I could read the next one in the series without having to look up who all the characters are. That said, I didn't like it as much as the novel. It was too faithful, if that makes sense...I love graphic novels that were written to be graphic novels, because I find they're more likely to take full advantage of the format. This felt like a novel that someone drew pictures for, which was still great, but not as dynamic as it could be. ( )
  katebrarian | Jul 28, 2020 |
Jacob Portman has never thought of himself as anything but a normal boy whose grandfather likes to tell magnificent tales of his childhood on an island surrounded by "peculiar" children. Jacob thinks it's all made up until something happens to his grandfather and Jacob goes to visit the island for himself. Once there, he encounters people and experiences events that make him come to understand that he's not so normal after all; he's peculiar!

Cassandra Jean's illustrations for this graphic novel are haunting, as they should be for such a mysterious tale.
  RickLizotte | Jul 14, 2019 |

Ransom Riggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jean, CassandraIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Growing up, Grandpa Portman was the most fascinating person I knew, and I begged him to regale me with stories whenever I saw him.
This is the work for the graphic novelization of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (ISBN 0316245283 & 1472210565).  Please do not combine it with the original novel.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,981,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible