Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children…

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children

by Ransom Riggs

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Two exceptional YA books, that may be enjoyed by adults as well, wherein graphics play an integral role in telling the story. These are not graphic novels per se, but images are important!
    Passenger by Alexandra Bracken (debbiereads)
    Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy Book 1) by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    The Magicians: A Novel by Lev Grossman (Anonymous user)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (929)  German (8)  Dutch (2)  Hungarian (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (949)
summary: Jake finds a place called Miss Peregrine's School for Peculiar Children. While he was there, he learns about magical powers that he has.
reflection: I used to love stories about magic and fiction so I really loved reading this book! When I was younger, I would pretend I had magical powers and I believed it was true for a long time too. This book is great for students who love magic and mythical stories.
  dempseydee | Sep 23, 2018 |
Jacob's grandfather tells him stories. Fantastic stories, of children who can float, or are invisible, or have bees living inside of their bodies. Scary stories, of monsters who prey on those who are different. Stories of how at a very young age he ran from those monsters, coming to America to be safe.

When he was very young, Jacob believed. His grandfather had pictures of those magical children, after all, so why shouldn't he believe? When he was older, Jacob thought he'd discovered the real story. That his Jewish grandfather came to America to escape the Nazis. All those peculiar children, they were different, not with bees inside and super-strength, but with Judaism or other things his young mind doesn't know. And the monsters? Well, there's nothing more monstrous than what the Nazis did.

The thing is, all his grandfather's stories are true. There are monstrous men and monsters in this world, and there are people who are different and also children who are very peculiar indeed. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
This was a book we read in my live book club, one of members is a library and she had multiple copies that were giveaways from the library, so we received some copies and assigned it to March. It was supposedly marketed as supernatural and dark, a book "to keep you up at night." If that is what you are looking for, you will be disappointed. There are supernatural factors, but there is nothing dark or chilling, some of the pictures are a little creepy, but not enough to give you trouble sleeping.
The story revolves around Jacob, who finds his grandfather dying, in what first appears to be a wild dog attack. His grandfather had filled his head with fantastic stories about magical children he had grown up with during WWII. Children who had peculiar talents, such as levitating or growing gardens at a wish, were ubber strong, or made of bees. As Jacob grew older, he began to realize these stories were made up, and his Grandfather slowly stopped telling them. After his Grandfather's death, Jacob gets sent into a bit of a tailspin and goes looking for his Grandfather's past. What he finds may is that his grandfather may not have been the liar he thought he was.
This was a great book, I loved that when a picture was mentioned, for the most part you turn the page and Bam there is the picture, it may have taken away a little of the reader's ability to imagine the characters, but the pictures were so integral to the story that the minor loss was not noticed. The book was originally intended to be a picture book featuring photographs Riggs had collected, but on the advice of an editor, he used the photographs as a guide from which to put together a narrative and a story was born. I really like the concept and the integration of the pictures, Riggs states that he has searched many a flea market and garage sale for the pictures used, and he has many more which is good news for the sequels. This is obviously a sequel, even if the second book hadn't been already released, the ending leaves no doubt there will be more books.
Jacob is a dis-likable character who grows into a likable character the further the story goes along. There are lots of secrets and plots, yet the writing is simple and straightforward, making it easy to read and kept me interested without overtaking my life. The children are endearing and varied, some are sweet, some are mean, but they are all individual characters, There were many characters that were only mentioned briefly, but Riggs did a great job of having the children be their own characters and not being confused with each other, which may have been the help of the pictures, but it lends itself to good possibilities of the future books, maybe fleshing some of these characters out more. I am looking forward to getting the second book.
As a side note, this book is better in the actual book format than electronic, I think it must have something to do with the pictures not translating as well when on an e-reader
For additional reviews please see my blog at www.adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com ( )
  Serinde24 | Aug 17, 2018 |
I loved the photos in this book and it's amazing that they are actually real. That was my favorite part.

I do wish there had been a list of the peculiar children and their abilities. I kept forgetting who was who and what they could do.

I don't know why but I kept thinking the children were younger than they actually are. The older ones are somewhere around Jake's age I presume (when they stopped aging) but I kept picturing them as 8-10 yo. Their dialogue and actions just seemed more childish than a 16 yo but maybe that would be the case for a 16 yo in 1940. ( )
  Catsysta | Aug 5, 2018 |
It doesn’t hurt me to say that I have watched the movie before I read the book. What hurts me to say is that even though I loved the book, I enjoyed the movie way more. But I am not here to compare the book and the movie, because I loved them both in a different way.

‘’I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.’’

Jacob was raised by his grandfather, who told him stories about the amazing house he used to live in, and all the children that lived with him, that had amazing abilities and were different than ordinary people. Grandpa Portman would even show Jacob pictures of the children and their peculiarities - he would tell him stories about the invisible boy, the girl that could float if she didn’t have iron boots, the girl that could breath out fire and the children that could easily lift the heaviest rocks. He would also talk about the danger and the big monsters that the children were so scared of.

And Jacob believed and loved these stories - he shared an amazing bond with his grandpa. Until, of course, he grew up. Suddenly, he was old enough to know this isn’t true, and stopped believing. His grandpa would try to convince him, and warn him that the monsters are coming, but the only conclusion he had is that his grandpa lost his marbles.

But then his grandpa dies, and Jacob sees the monsters himself. Despite everyone believing that he is crazy, just like his grandpa, Jacob now has no choice but to find these strange children - and get answers to all his questions.

The book moves quite slow, and it is not until half of the book that we actually get to meet the children. As a person that watched the movie, this was extremely frustrating, as I kept waiting and waiting, and nothing special happened for 90 pages.

The author puts photographs in the book, and they are perfectly put in the book to explain how a character looks, and to describe the scene better. This was the strawberry to my cake in this book. I immensely enjoyed the beautiful photographs and how perfectly well they fitted with the book and detailed the characters. The only character that I couldn’t imagine was Miss Peregrine - her picture is not at all what I expected. At first, I thought about sharing some of those pictures here - but then, I assumed you might enjoy them more if you explore them yourself while reading the book, as they come - as I could never be able to do that as well as Ransom Riggs did.

For the ones you watched the movie first - the movie is not at all the same as the book. So lower your expectations, otherwise you will be disappointed. The movie seemed to have put three books into one, and swapped people’s abilities, and made up some scenes and places.

The book, however, had parts that you wouldn’t see in the movie, and its own magic of detailed descriptions to your favorite stories and characters.

I hated Jacob. Not just at the beginning, but all the way through. Mister ‘’I-am-too-good-for-everything’’ , Mister ‘’My-family-is-so-rich-I-will-try-my-best-to-get-fired-from-work-because-my-uncle-owns-the-shop’’. No - Just no. As much as I enjoyed his story, his character is very egocentric and unlikeable. I actually liked Grandpa Abe so much more, even though he was only partially and ghostly present in the book.

Miss Peregrine didn’t reveal much of her character as she does in the movie. We don’t get to read a lot about her to be honest, and she was the one person I expected to see more of.

We get to hang around with the children a lot though, and meet Emma, the girl that has fire powers, and that used to be Grandpa Abe’s lover and now Jacob - which is more than weird, but oh well…

‘’She moved to pinch me again but I blocked her hand. I’m no expert on girls, but when one tries to pinch you four times, I’m pretty sure that’s flirting.’’

We get to meet Millard, the invisible boy, Olive, the girl that can float without her iron boots, Fiona, who can make plants and trees grow in seconds and many other lovely children with even lovelier abilities.

This is an amazing story about extraordinary people, children who will amuse you with how cute they can be, a bit of (well, a lot of) time travel and a great valuable lesson that everyone in this world is peculiar and extraordinary in their own way! A must-read to all of you that love some fantasy stories and different worlds. ( )
  InnahLovesYou | Aug 3, 2018 |
Boken är knappast ett stilistiskt mästerverk. Dialogerna krystas stundom fram och vissa figurer är lika blodfattiga som de spöken som förföljer dem. Det som gör verket unikt är bilderna

The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

SLEEP IS NOT, DEATH IS NOT;
CANNOT BE MOORED.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
Wildly inventive
tale based on peculiar
vintage photographs.
(passion4reading)

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ransom Riggs's book Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,961,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible