Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Anna Dressed in Blood

by Kendare Blake

Series: Anna (1)

For three years, seventeen-year-old Cas Lowood has carried on his father's work of dispatching the murderous dead, traveling with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat, but everything changes when he meets Anna, a girl unlike any ghost he has faced before.
Recently added byrena75, Kayla.Krantz, emerlandcelestia, private library, SMA_Hive
    The Name of the Star (The Shades of London) by Maureen Johnson (kaledrina)
    Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (MyriadBooks)
    Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore (kaledrina)
    The Restorer by Amanda Stevens (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both novels involve creepy, angry ghosts and the narrator's attempts to deal with them in the tradition of their father's teaching. Anna Dressed in Blood is YA and involves ghost-slaying, while the heroine of The Restorer simply wants the ghosts to ignore her, but there is a similar creepiness about them.… (more)
    Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia (kaledrina)
    Shadowland by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong (kaledrina)
    Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman (kaledrina)
Ghosts (161)

4.5 stars for Anna Dressed in Blood.

If you ever wanted to know how to write a decent and great ghost story, this is it! I had high hopes for this book, and it didn't disappoint.

However, I was expecting it to be a bit more scary, but I didn't find it scary at all. I wouldn't consider it as a horror book. Paranormal ghost story, yes.

I loved, loved, loved the character of Anna. I loved her so much, in fact, that I was wishing that she actually did exist so we could be friends.

I also loved the fact that it had swearing in it that wasn't OTT like a lot of older teen books. The way Cas swears made him feel more like a real teenage boy. What 17 year old boy doesn't swear!?!

The plot was quite good although, when it came to the story line of how Anna died and why she was the way she was, it was quite predictable...This is what made me give the book 4.5 stars instead of 5...well, that and it wasn't scary which I was hoping for.

Overall, this is definitely a good read! I can't wait to read Girl of Nightmares to find out more about (hopefully) Anna, Cas, Carmel, and Thomas.

This is a book not to be missed! ( )
  khal_khaleesi | Nov 16, 2019 |
The concept was clever, but the writing felt too rushed and over-simplistic. Not my preference stylistically for a well-told story. ( )
  slmr4242 | Oct 16, 2019 |
This is another book ruined by a narrator. It is probably just me but i couldn't stand him. His voice has a weird pitch and he didn't change his voice much for each character. I only made it 30 min into it before I had to stop. This will have to go on my "read for yourself" list ( )
  mitsuzanna | Sep 26, 2019 |
There were some things that I liked about Anna Dressed in Blood. It had an interesting concept and a well-developed plot. The characters were better than most young adult novels that I have read, which often suffer from poor characterization. But it also had some serious pitfalls which took away from my enjoyment of this novel. The first is the use of first person, present tense point of view. It’s the dumbest possible way to tell a story, and it is illogical since stories are things that have happened. Otherwise, it’s like you’re giving a running commentary of events and actions as they happen. Unfortunately, it’s all the rage these days, and I’m hoping like most fads, it dies away.

The other thing that aggravated me was the same issue that plagues most young adult novels that I read, and that is having characters acting in ways and doing things that are unrealistic, all because of the need to have young characters as the leads in the story. What they do and how they act often doesn’t jive with reality, and this book is no different.

For the most part, this novel was entertaining. It wasn’t dull and didn’t go through any slow spots. In the end, I thought it was just okay but it could have been more.

Carl Alves – author of The Invocation ( )
  Carl_Alves | Aug 11, 2019 |
This was the most cheerfully gruesome ghost story I'd ever listened to. The narrator sounded young despite all the f-bombs and was not good at all the voices. It was like an episode of Supernatural, which I also find fluffily entertaining. Points for location - Thunder Bay Ontario. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |

Kendare Blakeprimary authorall editionscalculated
NekroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Just your average, boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...
The grease-slicked hair is a dead giveaway—no pun intended.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

All rights reserved.

This is a work of fiction. All of the characters, organizations, and events portrayed in this novel are either products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously.

Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story…

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.
So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.
When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.
And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.

Kendare Blake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,298,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible