Anna Dressed in Blood

by Kendare Blake

Series: Anna (1)

For three years, seventeen-year-old Cas Lowood has carried on his father's work of dispatching the murderous dead, traveling with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat, but everything changes when he meets Anna, a girl unlike any ghost he has faced before.
    The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson (kaledrina)
    Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (MyriadBooks)
    Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore (kaledrina)
    The Restorer by Amanda Stevens (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both novels involve creepy, angry ghosts and the narrator's attempts to deal with them in the tradition of their father's teaching. Anna Dressed in Blood is YA and involves ghost-slaying, while the heroine of The Restorer simply wants the ghosts to ignore her, but there is a similar creepiness about them.… (more)
    Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia (kaledrina)
    The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong (kaledrina)
    Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman (kaledrina)
    Shadowland by Meg Cabot (Runa)

I usually don't read ghost stories but I read Graveminder and I've been rewatching seasons 1 and 2 of Supernatural so I felt in the mood to read Anna Dressed in Blood. I was actually really looking forward to reading this book, but I was kind of disappointed. I was hoping to read a book that was kind of like Supernatural. You know, with a guy traveling around killing ghosts, but the romance kind of killed it for me. It just seemed out of place, I think it could have waited for a later book when the author develops their relationship more. On the plus side there was quite a few gross descriptions thrown in there, so that made it feel more like a horror book.

The characters were ok, not boring or annoying but I didn't feel a connection to Cas or any of the other side characters. There just wasn't any spark. Nevertheless, I will say that Anna was pretty darn cool. She kicked butt. I loved the last battle scene, it was awesome!

I felt like the main villain was rushed. You find out about him half way through the book and then the conclusion just seemed rushed. And can I say I hate Voodoo. Even The Princess and the Frog creeps me out. I just don't like it.

The writing style was good and the story was fine, but at times I think it lacked believability. Overall, it was okay read, I'll probably read the sequel eventually but the book wasn't as good as I had hoped.

My Blog ( )
  caaleros | May 17, 2024 |
My review of this book can be found on my YouTube Vlog at:

Enjoy! ( )
  booklover3258 | Jan 9, 2024 |
I really enjoyed this read. It was not the book i expected to read, I am really loved the male main character and this so rare to find in a ya read. I also really liked the haunted house and ghost elements. I also really liked the trio of characters that was the hear of this read. I also loved the realtionship between him and anna it gave me eerie vibes that i saw in her newest book all their bodies. It had a horror elements but was more spooky and not scary. I really loved this quick read and really want to read book 2! ( )
  lmauro123 | Dec 28, 2023 |
  lmauro123 | Dec 28, 2023 |
Well after reading Stephen's review I was intrigued and moved this to the top of my TBR stack. I was not disappointed - obviously since I devoured it pausing only for breakfast this morning. Have to love holiday mornings when you can do what you'd like!

For me this was a swift read but oh so savory. The characters are well *um* fleshed out and there is an interesting twist at the end. I enjoyed Anna very much, Cas as well. Although I did not detect the flaws Stephen mentioned - which might be gender related, or from the fact I expect young boys/men to have those opinions/thoughts. Personally I didn't find him as over the top as I expected. Oh and I agree about Tybalt.

The story was mostly tightly plotted and left the path open to a possible sequel without leaving any major plot strings for the main story undone. Kudos to the Author for that. Coming in today I see that this is probably the first in a series so that makes sense in one way but not another; which I can't elaborate upon because it gives the end of the story away (aka spoilers!)

I'll give this a solid 4 stars for being enjoyable, well-written, entertaining, and slipping in a nice mention of [a:Bret Easton Ellis|2751|Bret Easton Ellis|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1274408405p2/2751.jpg]' work! Hopefully the majority of my reading this year will be of the same quality! ( )
  Kiri | Dec 24, 2023 |

Kendare Blakeprimary authorall editionscalculated
NekroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Just your average, boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...
The grease-slicked hair is a dead giveaway—no pun intended.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

All rights reserved.

This is a work of fiction. All of the characters, organizations, and events portrayed in this novel are either products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously.

Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story…

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.
So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.
When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.
And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.

Kendare Blake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,061,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible