The Twits by Roald Dahl

The Twits (1980)

by Roald Dahl

6,92196851 (3.83)104

English (92)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (97)
Humor fiction chapter book, grades 1-8
It is a relatively short book and easy to read. It is a good book for emerging readers who want to have fun and read a chapter book. The book is about and old married couple that are nasty people who don’t get along and play tricks on each other. They have monkeys that they train who end up playing a trick on them. The story isn’t that deep and doesn’t have a strong meaningful theme. Overall it is just a fun story for kids to read with animals and pranks. ( )
  ebroph2 | Feb 14, 2019 |
I enjoy Roahld Dhal's writing, the mischief, inventiveness and creative language. However, I would not have let my kids read this book when they were little. This book is about mean people, and revenge. Kids pick up on meanness and imitate it, even if it is used clearly in the story as it is an example of wrong and dreadful. There are studies that show kids watching stories where mean people get their due would practice the meanness on each other after, even if they have the best family life. Kids need to learn from good examples.

The problem in this story is the complete lack of compassion, the showing of doing the right thing. The meanness is answered by meanness, and there is no learning. What kind of lesson is that, destroy you those who are mean to you, and say "yay" if you find two people dead? Kids might find the story funny, but it would take quite a bit of parental guidance to explain that answering meanness with meanness is a way of perpetuating it, not solving it. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
What a fabulously grizzly children's book. The most unlikable characters, Mr & Mrs Twit, get their comeuppance. The descriptions alone of these two are enough to make you feel sick. But that enables you to tolerate the vicious pranks they play on each other.

Nice short chapters with lots of illustrations. Thoroughly enjoyable read. ( )
  purplequeennl | Jul 11, 2018 |
This book was fun. It was full of gross-out humor and amusing moments. Like the other Dahl books I have read, this one was something that came across as good to read aloud. I could imagine the different voices that would be done, the good rhythm it could be read at.

The pictures were great - Quentin Blake is a real talent. I especially liked the Roly Poly Bird and the Muggle-Wumps. The real treat of the book was a brief series of questions for Dahl at the end wherein he shared with the reader his writing tips. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
I have never before read a Roald Dahl book, though I have seen a couple movies based on Dahl's books. The Twits popped into view whilst I scanned the shelves at a nearby Goodwill store, so I tossed it into the cart. It's a kids book, of course, and thus short, with many illustrations done by Quentin Blake. Blake apparently illustrated many Dahl books.

The Twits are husband and wife, living in a ramshackle house on poorly tended ground. Ne'er-do-wells in all regards: Unclean, unkempt, unsavory, grumpy, disagreeable, lazy. Favorite sport is playing dirty tricks on one another. Mr. Twit loves "bird pie", chock full of any sort of bird. The stuff of the story is how he tricks his wife, how she retaliates, and more important, how his interaction with birds he wants for pies ends. Hint: Badly.

It was ok, but I know a couple of young granddaughters who would probably like it.
  weird_O | Mar 23, 2018 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vriesendorp, HuberteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

For Emma
What a lot of hairy-faced men there are around nowadays.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014241039X, Paperback)

Mr. and Mrs. Twit hate everything, including their trained monkeys, the Muggle-Wumps, who now want revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:37 -0400)

The misadventures of two terrible old people who enjoy playing nasty tricks and are finally outwitted by a family of monkeys.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141322756, 0141807830

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,745,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible