Memory Man by David Baldacci

Memory Man

by David Baldacci

1,204756,655 (3.94)31

English (74)  Dutch (1)  All (75)
David Baldacci is an excellent writer and storyteller. There's a reason why he's a perennial international bestseller. He uses powerful imagery, symbolism, and metaphor to bring his writing to life.

The character Amos Dekker was intricately woven and very unique. Especially for a detective. My one peeve with him was at the end. I won't say what it was here but, it wasn't consistent with his personality that was so marvelously displayed throughout the story. I would have expected him to be a little more cautious with his decision in the resolution, but not a big point.

This being the beginning of a new series had quite an impact. He had to come out swinging so to speak. But when it's all said and done, the plot twists may have been a bit overkill. However the plot overall was superb and didn't take away from the end result. Hats off to Mr. Baldacci.

Sidenote: I listened to the audio version of this and it was excellent. I'd also give the narrator and entire audio production 5 stars.

Bravo ( )
  BenjaminThomas | Mar 16, 2018 |
I was not sure I will like this novel - the whole idea of the changed brain of Amos sounded as a gimmick. And then it somehow crept on me and I ended up liking it a lot more than I expected.

Amos Decker lost everything twice - he lost his career and his personality when he got flattened on the gridiron (but he got hyperthymesia and synesthesia as a result (so he cannot forget anything and he sees numbers and colors everywhere). And then, just when his life seems perfect again, with a wife, a daughter and a career in the police, fate strikes again and his whole family is slaughtered. And this second loss makes him throw his life away, lose his job and house and join the ranks of the homeless. By the time we meet him again, 16 months after the murders, he had cleaned up a bit, became a private detective and managed to start living again... somewhat anyway.

And then a shooter comes to the local high school and kills a lot of people on the same day when someone admits to the killing of Amos's family. He ends up in the middle of the investigation - partially because he is asked to help and partially because the killer leaves messages for him - drawing lines between unrelated events and making sure everyone realizes that Amos is the key to the whole thing.

And the chase is on - through more bodies and bad choices, through history and bad memories.

When it was published, it was not advertised as the start of a new series but since then Baldacci decided to make it a series. And I will be curious to see what happens in a case that is not tied to Amos Decker's past. ( )
  AnnieMod | Jan 23, 2018 |
Good plot, interesting main character - plan to move on to #2 in the series asap. ( )
  bennian | Jan 19, 2018 |
David said this is one of his 5 best novels.
  RodgerA | Dec 29, 2017 |
First in a Series. Amos is a Savant due to a football injury. his situation works for and against him. Three members of his family are murdered and then several others that are connected to him. He must find the killers. It is a long and drawn out story that was much too wordy for my taste. Probably why I do not read him. ( )
  pgabj | Dec 26, 2017 |
To Tom and Patti Maciag:
Go forth and have fun.
You've earned it!
Amos Decker would forever remember all three of their violent deaths in the most paralyzing shade of blue.

"Amos Decker's life changed forever--twice. The first time was on the gridiron. A big, towering athlete, he was the only person from his hometown of Burlington ever to go pro. But his career ended before it had a chance to begin. On his very first play, a violent helmet-to-helmet collision knocked him off the field for good, and left him with an improbable side effect--he can never forget anything. The second time was at home nearly two decades later. Now a police detective, Decker returned from a stakeout one evening and entered a nightmare--his wife, young daughter, and brother-in-law had been murdered. His family destroyed, their killer's identity as mysterious as the motive behind the crime, and unable to forget a single detail from that horrible night, Decker finds his world collapsing around him. He leaves the police force, loses his home, and winds up on the street, taking piecemeal jobs as a private investigator when he can. But over a year later, a man turns himself in to the police and confesses to the murders. At the same time a horrific event nearly brings Burlington to its knees, and Decker is called back in to help with this investigation. Decker also seizes his chance to learn what really happened to his family that night. To uncover the stunning truth, he must use his remarkable gifts and confront the burdens that go along with them. He must endure the memories he would much rather forget. And he may have to make the ultimate sacrifice" --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,037,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible