Time Salvager by Wesley Chu

Time Salvager

by Wesley Chu

Series: Time trilogy (1)

June 2015-Preview Excerpt via Netgalley: Exciting and fast-paced. Must buy full book now!

Oct. 2015, finished novel. Slightly less fast-paced overall, but still an exciting book. There was a moment during the book when I actually thought "saving this world requires two people and both of them are women" and that was pretty cool. The problem for me is that I liked all of the supporting characters far more than I liked the main character. Still, I'm interested in the plot (especially with the twists at the ending of this book) and will read more. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
I hadn’t read anything by Wesley Chu before, but I’ve heard extravagant praise for the Lives of Tao series, so I was looking forward to it. Unfortunately, I didn’t think Time Salvager was very good – it had a great premise, but the writing was clunky, the plot is riddled with clichés and the characters seemed more like archetypes than people.

It’s the 26th century, and humanity is in danger of extinction due to centuries of war and resource limitations. The only thing keeping humanity going are the chronmen, who take difficult excursions into the past and salvage material for present day rebuilding. James Griffin-Mars is a chronman who gets a “golden ticket” job offer, accelerating his retirement considerably. However, on his way back, he breaks the cardinal Time Law, bringing a doomed scientist, Elise Kim back with him, and now they’re both fugitives.

Like I said, the premise of this book is interesting – time travel as a way to gather resources. What it actually ended up being was a mostly a lot of different action scenes with a clichéd evil corporation as the villain. There are a few forays into various historical periods, but they’re sparse on detail and atmosphere – in fact, the whole world it builds doesn’t seem compelling at all. Some of the lack of color makes sense with the whole “humanity is desperate” thing, but how desperate can humanity be with roving spaceship malls being commonplace?

None of the characters were engaging either, their decisions didn’t make any sense, and they seemed like a bunch of stereotypes thrown together – for example, the protagonist James is going somewhat crazy (complete with hallucinations of people whose lives he didn’t save), he likes Elise Kim, and I don’t know anything else about him. I can’t describe him as brave or determined or pretty much anything, he’s just someone who feels and thinks what the plot needs him to. Every other character has the same flaws, any attributes they have are just described by the text, not shown.

The book isn’t even self-contained – it’s clear setup for a trilogy, it raises a bunch of questions and answers none of them, and since the entire book has been fighting and running, the climactic fight doesn’t even seem much different from the rest of the book. I’m not sure how this book got so many glowing blurbs, I don’t think I’ll be reading any more of this series. ( )
  kgodey | Apr 11, 2017 |
An excellent time travel novel. Terrific world building and the manner in which the time travel laws are applied. Very satisfying. ( )
  skraft001 | Mar 12, 2017 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot. wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission. Title: Time Salvager Series: ----- Author: Wesley Chu Rating: 3 of 5 Stars Genre: SFF Pages: 381 Format: Kindle Digital Edition Synopsis: The Future sucks. While Humanity has expanded to the stars, they have lost the will to innovate and hope. While they have the awesome ability to time travel, they use it to plunder the past for energy. One of these Chronman is James. He falls in love and brings a 21st Century woman to the 26th Century. Chaos, corruption and violence all spring into life. Amid the despair, Elise is a ray of hope. Question is whether James can keep her alive when the whole of the Time Department and a MegaCorporation wants her dead. My Thoughts: I was expecting more. In fact, I felt like I was doing a good deed by giving this 3 stars instead of 2 1/2 or even 2. I just didn't like this. I didn't like any of the characters, I didn't like the situations, I didn't like anything. Hence why my rating is magnanimous. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
First book in the time traveler series, moves quickly and is a good, but not exceptional read. Wesley Chu weaves an interesting tale that slowly becomes a page turner. He does a good job portraying his lead characters, but not so good on secondary characters. ( )
  rondoctor | Oct 14, 2016 |

Chu, WesleyAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anderson, RichardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my grandparents and those who came before me
A sliver of light cut through the void, shooting toward the center of the battle display. Every soul on the bridge, breaths collectively held, eyed its path as it streaked across space. The room was dead quiet, except for the droning voice counting down to the point of impact. An explosion the size of a thumbnail blinked and flowered to fill half the display, then darkened again.

"Convicted criminal James Griffin-Mars is no one's hero. In his time, Earth is a toxic, abandoned world, and humans have fled into the outer solar system to survive, eking out a fragile, doomed existence among the other planets and their moons. Those responsible for delaying humanity's demise believe time travel holds the key, and they have identified James, troubled though he is, as one of a select and expendable few ideally suited for the most dangerous job in history"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,598,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible