The Invasion of the Tearling by Erika…

The Invasion of the Tearling

by Erika Johansen

Series: Queen of the Tearling (2)

The evil kingdom of Mortmesne invades the Tearling, with dire consequences for Kelsea and her realm.

English (56)  Dutch (1)  All languages (57)
The Invasion of the Tearling by Erika Johansen is the epic sequel to The Queen of the Tearling. Filled with fantasy, intrigue, magic, and mystery, this is by far one of the best recently released fantasies at the moment. Erika Johansen finally tells us what happened for this world to come into existence, which means that not only do we get the story of Kelsea Glynn, but also the story of Lily. How these two are connected, I'll leave you to find out for yourselves, but let's just say it's quite the revelation.

I love these books, because it's very female orientated. That said, I wasn't especially keen on the rape scene in The Invasion of the Tearling, but it was a necessary scene (to show how horrid women are treated in the dystopian segments of the story). What I do, however, enjoy is how Kelsea gives zero fucks about how other people expect her to run her kingdom. I mean, she has her flaws as a ruler, but she is the best ruler.

It should be noted that there are quite a few graphic scenes in The Invasion of the Tearling, but if you're not squeamish and you like epic fantasies, then this one might be right up your alley. Get ready for some excellent twists and turns, though.

I can't wait for the next book to come out. Will we find out who Kelsea's father is? Will Kelsea defeat the ultimate evils of the world? What happened to the priests? Oh heavens, I can't wait another year to find out! *whines and cries*

Review originally posted at:
  MoniqueSnyman | Oct 3, 2019 |
While the book is titled “Invasion of the Tearling”, only small portion of the book is dedicated to the event. The main focus of the book is on the dystopia US before the crossing telling from Lily’s perspective follow the same thread of fanatic religious imposing on family value and demeaning of female roles in the society. I am having mixed feeling about the book. ( )
  Baochuan | Jun 13, 2019 |
After Kelsea's decision to stop the slave trade to Mortmesne, she knows the Red Queen will be declaring war, and it's only a matter of time before the Tearling is invaded. She continues to grow in her role as queen as she realizes how many tough decisions she will have to make, especially with a superior army breathing down her neck.

The middle book in the trilogy continues in the vein of the first, as we see the difficult choices Kelsea has, and her growing power and understanding of the position she's in. There's some self harm and a little more descriptive violence than I tend to like. The story reveals both Kelsea's development as a character - just how unlike the Red Queen or her mother is she? - and takes us to another place and time with a woman named Lily, showing more of how the Tearling came to be. The end left me a little surprised and really curious to see how The Fate of the Tearling wraps things up. ( )
  bell7 | May 31, 2019 |
Read my full review of the series here: bigdipperbooks.com ( )
  melissa_faith | Mar 16, 2019 |
I'm starting to think that Erika Johansen is a genius. The Queen of the Tearling was good, but this book took things to a whole new level. The world of the Tearling sucks you right it but, while the world-building is masterful, the true delight of this book are the characters. Every character grows in depth as the book progresses. Characters that are easy to despise became hard not to sympathize with. Even characters you can't help but root for are not black and white. Kelsea makes some terrible, harsh decisions, and even William Tear does some pretty terrible things for what he believes in. These characters are so real, struggling through hard decisions in such human ways, not always coming out on top.

I can't wait for the next one. I haven't loved a series like this in a long time. ( )
  Wordbrarian | Mar 5, 2019 |

Erika Johansenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ze heeft de kroon.
Nu moet ze haar koninkrijk redden...
Ieder kind zou zo iemand als Barty moeten hebben,
Dit boek is voor mijn vader, Curt Johansen
"The Second Mort Invasion had all the makings of a slaughter""

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,733,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible