A Dance With Dragons by George R. R. Martin

A Dance With Dragons (2011)

by George R. R. Martin

Other authors: Virginia Norey (Heraldic Crests)

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (5)

9,125334327 (4.04)2 / 397
Recently added byprivate library, SharilZain, Adam_Bert, escorpius, Hessius, capaz, amuskopf, carsten.schmitt77, jagualar, dwalker86
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Dune by Frank Herbert (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Similarly concerned with the politics of power and survival.
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: It's the first in the series and all should be read.

English (320)  Spanish (5)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All (1)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  All (334)
I don't think I have it in me to wait 5 years to find out what happens next! ASOS is still my favorite of the series but I did very much enjoy this one, even if the surprises and twists were minimal. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
The best one yet in my opinion. I LOVED it!!!! ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
My least favorite installment. Tyrion fails to impress, even. Like Jon, he's reduced to italicized remembrances of previous events and phrases. These once-great characters get propped up by dull mantras that drain their original appeal and drama.

The Wall arc is bloated and slow, Mereen is dull aside from Baristan the Bold (the only character aside from Reek who's any good), the various sellsword companies and sideplots are completely forgettable, the Ironborn stuff is a joke, and Arya doesn't really excite without the Hound. The only thing I liked was the nasty stuff with Reek and the Boltons. It was the only aspect of the novel with emotional energy and tension.

The writing is less mechanical and lazy than A Feast of Crows, but it still doesn't have the force and solidity of the first three installments. ( )
  Algybama | Nov 10, 2016 |
So after months--nay, years--of waiting, I am embarrassed to say that I devoured this book in about 36 hours. It's not my favorite of the series (that's A Storm of Swords), but it's better than A Clash of Kings and A Feast of Crows, and I thoroughly enjoyed all of them anyway.

So when he is going to have The Winds of Winter done? ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
I was going to give it 3 stars because I was disappointed by the lack of movement in the story, however the epilogue saved this book. It's my least favorite from the series and not because Martin seemingly kills off another favorite character (many "dead" characters have a way of coming back to life [of some sort] in a later book). I guess I'll have to wait 5 years or so until the next one, but hopefully the popularity of the HBO series and the natural drive of capitalism will light a fire under Martin's ass. ( )
  Sareene | Oct 22, 2016 |
It's terrible. Martin has taken the concept of the pot-boiler to an extreme — it's a novel where nothing happens other than continual seething, roiling turmoil. He whipsaws the reader through a dozen different, complex story lines where characters struggle to survive in a world wrecked by civil war — one other problem is that I'd hit a chapter about some minor character from the previous four books, and struggled to remember who the heck this person is, and why I'm supposed to care — and again, nothing is resolved. Well, not quite: major characters are brutally killed, if they're male, and graphically and degradingly humiliated into irrelevance if they're female. I guess that's a resolution, all right — perhaps the last book will be a lovingly detailed description of a graveyard, draped with naked women mourning?
added by jimroberts | editPharyngula, PZ Myers (Jul 28, 2011)

Martin remains boundlessly creative, sketching out intricately realized new civilizations, societies, religions, and factions on one continent while continuing to complicate the established political agendas on another. No part of his world ever feels like an afterthought or an easy fantasy cliché.

Even so, “A Dance With Dragons,” for its bounty of adventure, is more about Mr. Martin marshaling his forces in anticipation of the cycle’s final two books.

Was "A Dance With Dragons" worth the six-year wait? Absolutely.

Martin, George R. R.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Norey, VirginiaHeraldic Crestssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, Jeffery L.Endpaper and interior maps bysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ce volume est pour mes fans

pour Lodey, Trebla, Stego, Pod,
Caress, Yags, X-Ray et Mr. X,
Kate, Chataya, Mormont, Mich,
Jamie, Vanessa, Ro,
pour Stubby, Louise, Agravaine,
Wert, Malt, Jo,
Mouse, Telisiane, Blackfyre,
Bronn Stone, Coyote's Daughter
et le reste des cinglés et des folles furieuses de
la Confrérie sans Bannières

pour les sorciers de mon site web
Elio et Linda, seigneurs de Westeros,
Winter et Fabio de WIC,
et Gibbs de Dragonstone, à l'origine de tout

pour les hommes et les femmes d'Asshai en Espagne
qui nous ont chanté un ours et une gente damoiselle
et les fabuleux fans d'Italie
qui m'ont tant donné de vin

pour mes lecteurs de Finlande, Allemagne,
Brésil, Portugal, France et Pays-Bas
et tous les autres pays lointains
où vous attendiez cette danse

et pour tous les amis et les fans
qu'il me reste encore à rencontrer

Merci de votre patience
The night was rank with the smell of man.
"Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal."
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies .... The man who never reads lives only one."
Women do not forget. Women do not forgive.
Give me priests who are fat and corrupt and cynical ... the sort who like to sit on soft satin cushions, nibble sweetmeats, and diddle little boys. It's the ones who believe in gods who make the trouble.
There are ghosts in Winterfell. And I am one of them.
Little plot progress
Dragons? Dany? Others? Imp?
Do nothing at all
(amweb)

In the aftermath of a colossal battle, the future of the Seven Kingdoms hangs in the balance once again--beset by newly emerging threats from every direction. In the east, Daenerys Targaryen, the last scion of House Targaryen, rules with her three dragons as queen of a city built on dust and death. But Daenerys has three times three thousand enemies, and many have set out to find her. Yet, as they gather, one young man embarks upon his own quest for the queen, with an entirely different goal in mind.

To the north lies the mammoth Wall of ice and stone--a structure only as strong as those guarding it. There, Jon Snow, 998th Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch, will face his greatest challenge yet. For he has powerful foes not only within the Watch but also beyond, in the land of the creatures of ice.

And from all corners, bitter conflicts soon reignite, intimate betrayals are perpetrated, and a grand cast of outlaws and priests, soldiers and skinchangers, nobles and slaves, will face seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Some will fail, others will grow in the strength of darkness. But in a time of rising restlessness, the tides of destiny and politics will lead inevitably to the greatest dance of all. . . .

Dubbed “the American Tolkien” by Time magazine, George R. R. Martin has earned international acclaim for his monumental cycle of epic fantasy. Now the #1 New York Times bestselling author delivers the fifth book in his spellbinding landmark series--as both familiar faces and surprising new forces vie for a foothold in a fragmented empire.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:15 -0400)

New threats emerge to endanger the future of the Seven Kingdoms, as Daenerys Targaryen, ruling in the East, fights off a multitude of enemies, while Jon Snow, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, faces his foes both in the Watch and beyond the great Wallof ice and stone.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,769,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible