A Dance With Dragons (2011)

by George R. R. Martin

Other authors: Virginia Norey (Heraldic Crests)

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (5)

14,282430321 (4.04)2 / 429
New threats emerge to endanger the future of the Seven Kingdoms, as Daenerys Targaryen, ruling in the East, fights off a multitude of enemies, while Jon Snow, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, faces his foes both in the Watch and beyond the great Wallof ice and stone.
Recently added byMarkHiroki, private library, jmletney13, lunadaea, EEMLHS, EFAXES, jace1234, stormybrat, reaper_hound, IllegibleCow8
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Dune by Frank Herbert (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Similarly concerned with the politics of power and survival.
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: It's the first in the series and all should be read.

English (413)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (430)
I hate you, George RR Martin. You are an evil, sadistic little man, aren't you?

First I had to go through Feast for Crows without my favorite characters. I actually thought they were going to be right around the corner up until the last page when - surprise! I find out they were moved to the next book. Okay. "No problem," I said. "I'll wait, Georgey Porgey. But it better be good."

But it wasn't. Oh, how it wasn't. (He made this girl cry.)

There seems to be a huge misconception that this is actually reading material, judging by how the average rating isn't 1 star.

How does someone start a series so magnificently and then deteriorate so magnificently quickly?

The problem here is that NOT ENOUGH HAPPENS. Phrases are repeated until you want to smash your book or reading device with a hammer. Tyrion keeps "taking a piss."

SPOILER ALERT? DOES IT MATTER? Tyrion spends the entire book just /traveling/ to where Daenerys is. At first you think, cool! Daenerys gets to meet Tyrion! But then you just forget that that was ever his destination. And Cersei? I think she got her comeuppance in this book, but really all I remember is where do whores go? You know nothing, Jon Snow. I'mma take a piss off the boat now. ( )
1 vote brutalstirfry | May 6, 2022 |
Too many questions left unanswered ( )
  Sunandsand | Apr 30, 2022 |
Í þessari sögu segir frá tilraunum Daenerys til að ná að stjórna borg sem herir hennar hafa hertekið, línudansi Jons við að halda varðliði sínu hlutlausu í valdabaráttu ættanna um leið og hann reynir að safna liði til að verjast væntanlegu áhlaupi yfirnáttúrulegra hersveita, stöðugum vandræðum Tyrions o.s.frv.
Taktur þessarar bókar fannst mér hægari en í fyrri bókunum en hún er heilsteyptari. Enn sem fyrr drepur Martin aðalsöguhetjur en hann hefur líka vakið sumar upp, óþekkjanlegar og hamrammar.
Hlakka til að takast á við næstu sögu Martins í bókaflokknum sem enn er ekki komin út en skal viðurkenna að sumir hlutir fara í taugarnar á mér, t.d. sömu orðatiltæki og gjörðir einstaklinga úr fjarlægum heimshornum og úr gerólíkum menningarsamfélögum. Einum of mikil einhæfni. ( )
  SkuliSael | Apr 28, 2022 |
I will never tire of Tormund Giantsbane and his dick jokes. However, at this point in the saga there's just too many pages between visits to any given storyline, which makes for frustrating reading. On the other hand, there are some gems in here - like Theon's horrorshow arc and the hilarity of Victarion Greyjoy taking himself so very seriously. Looking forward to the threads beginning to merge back together at some point and finding out what happened to some of those characters who fell off the map for 1000 pages or so. ( )
  jdegagne | Apr 23, 2022 |
959 pages small print. will take some time to finish. I read the Game of Thrones series as well as watched the Series. This book starts with Tyrion Lannister, the dwarf, after killing his father the King. He has fled Kings Landing with the help of Varys, the master of whispers.
  DocWalt10 | Mar 25, 2022 |
It's terrible. Martin has taken the concept of the pot-boiler to an extreme — it's a novel where nothing happens other than continual seething, roiling turmoil. He whipsaws the reader through a dozen different, complex story lines where characters struggle to survive in a world wrecked by civil war — one other problem is that I'd hit a chapter about some minor character from the previous four books, and struggled to remember who the heck this person is, and why I'm supposed to care — and again, nothing is resolved. Well, not quite: major characters are brutally killed, if they're male, and graphically and degradingly humiliated into irrelevance if they're female. I guess that's a resolution, all right — perhaps the last book will be a lovingly detailed description of a graveyard, draped with naked women mourning?
added by jimroberts | editPharyngula, PZ Myers (Jul 28, 2011)

Martin remains boundlessly creative, sketching out intricately realized new civilizations, societies, religions, and factions on one continent while continuing to complicate the established political agendas on another. No part of his world ever feels like an afterthought or an easy fantasy cliché.

Even so, “A Dance With Dragons,” for its bounty of adventure, is more about Mr. Martin marshaling his forces in anticipation of the cycle’s final two books.

Was "A Dance With Dragons" worth the six-year wait? Absolutely.

Martin, George R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Norey, VirginiaHeraldic Crestssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, Jeffery L.Endpaper and interior maps bysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ce volume est pour mes fans

pour Lodey, Trebla, Stego, Pod,
Caress, Yags, X-Ray et Mr. X,
Kate, Chataya, Mormont, Mich,
Jamie, Vanessa, Ro,
pour Stubby, Louise, Agravaine,
Wert, Malt, Jo,
Mouse, Telisiane, Blackfyre,
Bronn Stone, Coyote's Daughter
et le reste des cinglés et des folles furieuses de
la Confrérie sans Bannières

pour les sorciers de mon site web
Elio et Linda, seigneurs de Westeros,
Winter et Fabio de WIC,
et Gibbs de Dragonstone, à l'origine de tout

pour les hommes et les femmes d'Asshai en Espagne
qui nous ont chanté un ours et une gente damoiselle
et les fabuleux fans d'Italie
qui m'ont tant donné de vin

pour mes lecteurs de Finlande, Allemagne,
Brésil, Portugal, France et Pays-Bas
et tous les autres pays lointains
où vous attendiez cette danse

et pour tous les amis et les fans
qu'il me reste encore à rencontrer

Merci de votre patience
The night was rank with the smell of man.
"Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal."
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies .... The man who never reads lives only one."
Women do not forget. Women do not forgive.
Give me priests who are fat and corrupt and cynical ... the sort who like to sit on soft satin cushions, nibble sweetmeats, and diddle little boys. It's the ones who believe in gods who make the trouble.
There are ghosts in Winterfell. And I am one of them.

Little plot progress
Dragons? Dany? Others? Imp?
Do nothing at all
(amweb)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,017,869 books! | Top bar: Always visible