dismiss

The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game (2006)

by Michael Lewis

Follows one young man from his impoverished childhood with a crack-addicted mother, through his discovery of the sport of football, to his rise to become one of the most successful, highly-paid players in the NFL.

This book is truly one of the best books i have ever read. Watching the movie first, i had the impression the characters in the book would be the same. Shocked that it was not, Michael Lewis gave me a better understanding of who the characters really were. The main charcter Michael, learns his way through life with a fearless attitude. Although he grew up on a bad note, being intrigued by drugs and having the absense of a true family, his independant self does not let that stop who he really is. Taken in by a white family who is exact opposite as Michael, the readers are able to see the value in what family connections really mean. Although he was not excel in school, he found his passion through football. Michael Lewis teaches many readers an important lesson. No matter what you are going through, push through it and find yourself, just like Michael did with football. Although this book has many valuable lessons, the only thing i was dissapointed in is how Michael Lewis focuses more attention on the game of football, rather than the story of Michael and his family. I would reccomend to anyone who is interested in sports as well. ( )
  laniesharinn | Nov 5, 2019 |
Interesting study of Michael Orr as he moves from a destitute child in Memphis to a premiere college football athlete. Much different than the movie by the same name. ( )
  addunn3 | Sep 30, 2018 |
There were two parts to this story. The first part was about the evolution of the offensive lineman in football. The other part of the story was about Michael Oher and his path toward the NFL. Both storylines were very interesting, but I didn't like how Lewis skipped back and forth in time between both stories. He would switch narratives abruptly and it was confusing at times because I was listening to the audiobook. But I was very interested in finishing the book. I was a graduate student at LSU when Nick Saban attempted to recruit Michael Oher and I remember the stories surrounding the recruitment and the NCAA. Coach O (who ended up with Oher at Ole Miss) is now our head football coach. The personal connections made the story more interesting. The best part of the whole book however was listening to the narrator attempt Coach O's speech and accent and then have to translate it. Priceless. ( )
  jguidry | Jun 30, 2018 |
The Blindside took me by surprise. I was expecting a book documenting the life of Michael Oher, but instead I got a 300 page description of how football has changed-- with Oher's experience to enhance it.

Lewis uses the facts of Oher's life parallel with notable changes in the National Football League (NFL). Though these events did not occur simultaneously, Lewis connects them as if they were meant to go hand in hand. And in some ways, maybe they were.

For anybody who has seen the movie portrayal of the book and has an interest in football, I would deem this book a "must read". I got much more out of it than I did from the movie. You get a better sense of who these people really were. But, I would also say if you're not too interested in the dynamics of the game this book is likely going to prove boring and a disappointment. ( )
  startwithgivens | Mar 21, 2018 |
This story is a very emotional and inspiring book and i believe it gives you a lot of good lessons on how the struggle you might be going through. There is a young boy named Michael and he is addicted to crack and he lives with his friends dad big tony. Tony decided to put his son in a christian private school. So big mike gets taken in by a white family. He stays there and he ends up getting his own room and truck. He is not good at school but he is good at football he wants to play so he brings his grades up. HE ends up making it on the football team he plays left tackle on offense. He has scouts coming to his game and he ends up going to college at Mississippi college and he goes to the Nfl and his drafted by the new York giants. One problem he faced was when he was living with Shaun he got in a car crash and ran away because he was scared of what was going to happen. The lesson it taught me is to always stay focused in school because no matter what i can always acheve my goal. I suggest you read this book if you like football and want to know that no matter where you come from you can always make your goal. ( )
  Julian98 | Oct 11, 2017 |
For Starling Lawrence -- Underpaid guardian of the author's blind side.
From the snap of the ball to the snap of the bone is closer to four seconds than to five.

W.W. Norton

3 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 039306123X, 0393330478, 039333838X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,986,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible