The Precious One

by Marisa de los Santos

A tale told in alternating voices traces the collaborative efforts of an estranged millionaire father and the daughter he abandoned 17 years earlier to reconcile and write his memoir.
Recently added bymerilosa, bfairfax2, Arina40, amandanan

Beautiful story. Loved that it was told from the POV of each sister, Taysy, the abandoned daughter, and Willow, the precious one. Taisy is the older sister and it's remarkable how she's able to get through her hurt and anger with her father, and reach out to the younger sister, who without Taisy would probably not have surivived. Willow has all the worldly things anyone would want but not the warmth and love of family. This is the one thing their father cannot give either one. Together they form an unbreakable bond. ( )
  merilosa | Sep 7, 2020 |
3.5 stars ( )
  amandanan | Jun 6, 2020 |
This is the kind of book that makes me wish I could stay curled up all day, just reading, reading and reading some more. I became sad as the pages I had left to read became fewer. I've had similar experiences reading the author's other books.) And though I've read many ARCs on my iPad, this was the first book that I actually purchased as an e-book (which I am personally against on principle because I love REAL books so much) because I just couldn't wait to read it and the library wait would've been too, too long.

Long, detailed reviews are really not my forte, but I will tell you that this book made me stop and hold it to my chest several times, because the descriptions were so pleasing to me. The kind of sentences that make you just wish YOU could've been the one to put those feelings to words. And,....I adored the characters. Read it! ( )
  LMJenkins | Nov 28, 2018 |
Not my favorite Marisa de los Santos, and still a darned good read! ( )
  SallyCrosiar | Nov 14, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I absolutely loved this book! The story flowed so well, I didn't want to put it down. The characters were believable and likeable (or loved to hate, in the father's case). Look forward to ready more from this author. ( )
  kibosa | Dec 31, 2016 |
For Susan Davis, ideal reader and treasured friend, with love
If I hadn't been alone in the house; if it hadn't been early morning, with that specific kind of fuzzy, early morning quiet and a sky the color of moonstones and raspberry jam outside my kitchen window; if I had gotten further than two sips into my bowl-sized mug of coffee; if he himself hadn't called but had sent the message via one of his usual minions; if his voice had been his voice and not a dried-up flimsy paring off the big golden apple of his baritone; if he hadn't said "please," if it had been a different hour in a different day entirely, maybe—just maybe— I would have turned him down.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Marisa de los Santos's book The Precious One was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Marisa de los Santos is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,922,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible